• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit has WORMS.

Please help, my rabbit Hershel has worms.

He's been in the run today and I went out to clean him and he's had done a bunch of sloppy poo. So I brought him inside and cleaned him up and gave him some fibreplex to help his gut movement. Anyway he started to do some normal poo's and when I went to pick them up, I noticed that there was something wiggling in his poo. They are small slim white worms, from the pictures I have googled they look like pinworms but could be roundworms as well. He is a 17wk old Mini Lop and has never been treated for worms.

Should I take him to the vets or can I treat him myself with Panacur? If I treat myself, should I do the 9 or 28 day dose.

Last week he was a bit under the weather and nearly stopped eating, wouldn't eat his pellets and only nibbled on hay and I had to encourage him to start eating. Herbs and extra fragrant hay finally did the trick. And he's been eating well since the last weekend, but this seems to explain why he was ill.

There's no reason why you can't pick up the Panacur paste yourself from somewhere like P@H (needs must in an emergency). I think you do a 9 day course for worms but it'll tell you on the packaging. But if you're at all concerned then please take him to the vet.

Thanks for your replies. I'll ring my vet in the morning and see what they say.

We have just checked our other rabbit George and she appears not to have any. But whilst she isn't sharing the same hutch yet, she does use the same run. So will have to treat her as well I think. We also have two dogs so it might be a group worming session.

:wave:

Mine have had pinworms and 9 day panacur did the trick nicely...here is a pick of what I found and I was horrified :lol:
406923_10151110989495613_428800165_n.jpg

Thanks for that picture Megansmummy. That's exactly what I found and I was horrified as well.

I've just phoned my vet and they said treat with panacur as well. So going to go up to PAH for some as the vets don't have any in stock and I would rather start treating him straightaway. He's feeling rather sorry for himself at the moment. My poor little bunny boy. :(

I hope Hershel manages to loose his unwanted visitors very soon.

I usually like looking at piccies of poo........................:oops::oops::oops:didn't like it this time. Euch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update: Day 3 of treatment on Panacur.
He seems to be doing okay, though some of his poo still had worms in last night. Not had a look today as my sister is off work, so left the bunnies for her to sort out.
He is being really good at taking his medicine, I've been putting it on a bit of basil and he doesn't even pause. *Basil Nom Nom :love:*

Although I have a question, as he likes to sit in his litter tray, how often should I be cleaning it out. I generally clean it out once a day, currently at night. Should I be a bit more cleaner and do it twice a day at the moment.

I have no idea but just wanted to say hope your rabbit gets better soon. I would have been horrified too but they seem to be easy to treat. Doughnut has never had them but she has been given pancur when I have gone to the vets. She just licks it out the bowl but doesn't like the taste of metacam. She's a strange bunny!

It was the last day of worming medicine for Hershel today and I can confirm he is now worm free. :D :D :D

Found giving him the worming medicine easy, Panacur for 9 days with the dosage being 1 graduation per Kg of bunny. First started off by putting it on a bit of basil but he got a bit fed up so I just syringed it straight into his mouth.

All the issues that he had been experiencing, i.e. being off his food and sloppy poo's have now finished. He has been tucking into his hay really well and producing some really good poo. I also weighed him again at the weekend and he's put on 5-6ozs since all the trouble first started 2.5weeks ago.

I am one happy mammy now. :thumb:

Back