• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Safe outdoor heating

P&B

Young Bun
Hi all

My 2 rabbits live in a storage unit/room that is attached to my ground floor flat. It is made of brick and has electricity but no heating.

Due to an episode of GI stasis my boy Pancake was at the vets for a couple of days, and I have been advised to keep him indoors for the weekend. However, he is soon going to have to go back out, and I am worried about the temperature difference, especially with the sudden drop in weather over the last couple of days.

I want to put a heater in their room to bring the temp up, so that he doesn't suffer or go into shock with the temp change.

The heater would be on a worktop surface far out of the buns reach, and the powerpoint is also way up out of their reach, so cords etc would not be a problem. However, I am wondering if there are any concerns or things I should know about what type of heater is safe to use, and to leave on all day/night. From having a quick look on argos etc, I know I should be looking for one with a safety cut off, and potentially more than one heating setting.

Does anyone have any recommendations, advice, tips or warnings about what I should or should not be looking for in a heater? I need to buy one tomorrow!

I'd go for a tubular greenhouse heater. They are very cheap to run and keep the room at a few degrees above freezing so not too hot but warm enough to be noticeable. I have them in both bunny sheds, mainly for my very elderly lady to keep her more comfortable in her twilight years, plus it stops the water freezing :thumb:.

I'd go for a tubular greenhouse heater. They are very cheap to run and keep the room at a few degrees above freezing so not too hot but warm enough to be noticeable. I have them in both bunny sheds, mainly for my very elderly lady to keep her more comfortable in her twilight years, plus it stops the water freezing :thumb:.

Awesome :thumb:

Back