• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feel a bit bad!

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Yesterday I put more bedding (straw) into the bunnies' bed chamber as we're due a cold snap and it's quite full really, or so I thought.

When I let them out in this morning, as always I check their bed chamber to see if they've made a nest or a burrow or whatever. They had but I was surprised to see that they had shredded/torn the newspaper which is on the ground floor, dragged it upstairs and stuffed it into their bed chamber and only then made their nest and hunkered down for the night. I'm dismayed to think that there was not enough straw in their bed chamber and that they were cold. It did freeze last night, but only a light one - we're due to go down to minus 7 this week :shock:. I do have 2 snugglesafes for them and have decided that they're going in as of tonight. But is there anything else that I could put in their bed chamber underneath the straw, as my neighbour suggested the cold could be coming up from the floor; which is entirely feasible. They've had newspaper in before, as a layer under the straw, but again they just find it, shred it and add it to the straw. I was thinking of some sort of fleece or blanket material and then the straw on top? Any other suggestions? I don't like thinking that they are cold. Their hutch is inside a shed so they aren't properly outside, but the shed isn't heated and won't ever be as I don't like that idea so please don't suggest it :). I have 2 bunnies and yes, it looks like they cuddle up together given the size and shape of the dent/nest in the straw. Awwwww :love:

Is the hutch directly on the floor of the shed? If it is, you could always try sliding an old rug or an offcut of carpet underneath it to offer some added protection. If it's on stilts then you could staple the same to the bottom of the hutch. They should be fine in the shed, heated or not :D.

Eta - just re-read and realised it's a two tier hutch. I'd staple something to the underneath of the top layer, even if it's just some thick cardboard. Every little helps.

Last edited:
mine have a thick layer of wood shavings then straw, not the sort thats really fine as that would get in their eyes but we buy it from the stables and its big chuncky bits of shavings, prehaps they just liked ripping up the paper

Back