• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pancake is home! But dodgey tummy

P&B

Young Bun
I collected Pancake from the vets this morning, he sems to be on the mend from his GI stasis, vet said he was eating and pooing, and he ate all his food overnight. Still have to adminster the gut stimulant to him, and give him some of the critical care.

He has been in amazing form since he got home. I brought him to see Buggle first of all, kept him in the crate with the lid up. She come over and sniffed, said hello eetc, and when she lost interest I took him back indoors. He has been full of life, in fact more than normally he is, he seems to have more energy than before he got ill in the first place!! He ate some cecals, and left a few in his tray. Ate some hay, greens and herbs (little nibbles here and there, not full on meal).

So obviously I was quite happy about the situation, as he seems to be in such good form!

Anyway, he has just made an awful mess, bless him, real dodgey tummy. Definately not cecals, just mushy poop. Got a dirty bum and paw, so just cleaned him up, and changed the blanket. There did appear to be a few formed poos, but darker and smaller than normal. But I am concerned about the mush.

Given he has been on critical care and meds, is this normal? Or should I be concerned?

He seems fine in himself, and is giving himself a groom at the mo.

Are they smelly? Hopefully he will eat a lot of hay. gIf he is active and eating i wouldn't worry too much unless it is his fecal poop and he isn't doing any normal pills

Last edited:
He has chilled out alot now, is sleeping under the bed. He has eaten a good bit of hay, shall keep an eye on him but don't want to keep prodding and pestering him!!! Poor little thing x

Pancake went to the vets this afternoon, where he had a check up. I am a bit confused.

On Saturday and Sunday, he ate tons, he was ravenous.

With the exception of the splat he did when he got home, he has been pooing, but not as much as normal, and the poos are smaller and darker.

Although he has not been drinking (that I have seen, and I have been keeping a fairly close eye on him), he has been weeing. I put this down to the wet veg he has been eating. In himself he seemed very happy on Sat and Sun, lots of running around and flopping out. Even a binky yesterday.

Today however, he has been much more subdued, he has slept alot. He is eating, but not with the gusto he was yesterday and the day before. He has eaten his cecals, but there has been hardly any fecal output this afternoon.

The vets said that really his poo's should be going back to normal now. I asked if I should be continuing with the critical care, as he started resisting it last night. He said that when Panake was at the vets he ate it from a dish so I could try him like that. Have just put some CC in a dish and he is not interested.

So after getting home, I had to brush him ( he is moulting till and really fluffy) and give him his gut stimulant. He hated both of these. Then he groomed himself for ages. He seems agitated, I sense he is getting sick of trips to the vet, getting picked up and poked and prodded.

So basiclly he has had his nuggets this morning, some hay and some readigrass. But not very impressive amounts.

Vet said tummy feel and sounds fine, and his weight is fine (5g less than when he first went in on Thursday). Temperature is fine also.

However, I am really really anxious. I feel like an idiot for being so happy with the progress he made on Saturday and Sunday, and now I cannot work out if he is acting normal (as in how he was before he got ill) or if he is on the way down again. I am also really worried about him still being seperated from his friend. And considering the turn the weather has taken he won't be going back out, so when they are ready to be put back together, she will have to come in until Spring, which will be stressful for her.

Sorry to sound melodramatic but I really am absolutly drained and frazzled by this, keep on crying. And I have not been at work since Thursday but have to go in tomorrow afternoon, and worried about leaving Pancake (and Buggle for that matter).

He is currently cleaning himself.

Where is his friend I no this might sound silly but if he was bonded to a female he might be missing his partner he might pick up if he was re united with his partner :)

Thanks Wendle, yes it has crossed my mind that the novelty of being indoors with me has worn off and he wants his girlfriend back :love: I was planning on putting them back together today but the vet said to keep them seperate until his eating and pooing is completely back to normal, otherwise I won't be able to monitor how much he is eating and pooing.

I have let them spend some time together, supervised each day, but not very long. I was going to do the same later, but bring her in rather than him out. Their room (which is outside and has no heating, it is like a small garage) was 5 degrees (I got a thermometer today!) and when I put a heater in it I could only get the temp up to 8 degrees (useless and waste of £40), so I was going to bring her in for a bit? Any thought in this? I really am at a loss.

Hi how are your bunnys doing now are they back together , I just got my bunnys back from the vets one of them has had stasis so they both been there since Saturday, but now I had to set up the bedroom for them as I can't put them back outside now till it gets warmer April/may/June/July who nos with this country :lol::lol:

Back