• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

a serious question for rescues/santuaries

lucy24

Mama Doe
how do you decide which rabbits to help? how did you start what you do?

The reason i ask is that ive seen an ad that has really upset me-the first to really pull at the heart strings and cannot decide what to so-would acting on it be unfair to rescue buns around the country?

I honestly hate the human race at times!

you have to decide which ones you think are more at risk..or discount breeders offloading stock..we get offered a lot of rew guinea pig boars :(
Send me link to add and i'll give you an opinion if you like

We started what we do after going to buy a hutch and 'there is still a rabbit in there, but Ill get rid of it so you can have the hutch' after mums quick glimpse she came home, and we went up there man handed and took hutch and bun,
She had severe urine burns on her underside, was skin and bone, she looked more like a guinea pig than a rabbit,
When we got home we cleared the cage, and it was full of maggots and months of fecal matter,

4 weeks later she had kits, they didnt survive, which was a blessing for Belle,
Unfortunatley we lost Belle once she had flourished into a beautiful bun,

But she was the reason we do what we do today,
At the moment we have 30 hutches and 43 rabbits, 2 more coming today, another result of breeding and selling as pets, we try to help the 'tried everything but cannot find homes and moving house/to flat cant take pets situations, dumped, found,, - too sick to care for pets, in dior need of get out of that situation rabbits' and avoid the 'wont breed anymore, no good for breeding anymore, child got bored of it, child has allergy, too cold to go out to feed it, boys are fighting' Thats not what rescues are for, and we get sick to death of hearing it, someone who just adopted a bun from us, also got another from elsewhere that turned out the be a boy, she could have go him neutered, but instead she chose to rehome him, luckily, our girl is staying, but it just gets on my goat, the reasons people give are atrocious, we do a lot of other work, helping find homes, but we wont take those buns in, spend 30% of everyday on the phone giving advise, rehome more other peoples buns than we do our own, we have decided we are not putting any up for adoption until it is warmer, they are safe, warm and fed/watered here, with the weather how it is, if people are wanting buns, they will be happy to wait until the weather warms up to take them home

be careful taking from free ads..you could end up with high vet bills
having seen your link the black one looks as if he could well have dental issues:cry:

I'm not a registered rescue/charity but have rescued buns on a small scale for over 10 years now. I have issues with rabbits that I think may be sick and cannot leave them behind. That is how I started rescuing and have carried on taking on unwell buns and keeping the ones who will always have problems. I just can't help it though my bank balance suffers lol.

Sometimes I think the bunnies that have made it into rescue are the lucky ones. My french lop had been blinded in his right eye deliberately, and the owners boyfriend had come home drunk and tried to drown him. So would you have left him there then to continually be as good as tortured and not consider him worthy of rescuing simply because he did not come from a rescue?? I'm sure you don't need me to tell you, there must be god knows how many horrific cases of cruelty against rabbits that have yet to come to light, and as the rescue ones are already safe and being cared for, I fail to see why a rabbit not yet in rescue should be left to be treated badly.

Back