PDA

View Full Version : What bunny should i get?

Kayla.Nicole.1145
11-01-2013, 03:47 PM
The woman i am going to order my bunny off of said she doesnt get bunnys till around easter. So she said i can order one from her company and pay a 40dollar advance which is no problem. But i still have to figure out what type and color to order i heard the mini llops are very adorable and great sweet tempered but i would like a extremly soft bunny which is a rex but they have upright ears and i want one whith flopp ears. Please dont comment and say i shouldnt get a bunny from the pet store because i am going to regardless. :roll:

Kittykat23uk
11-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Since this is a rescue forum I don't suppose you will get much response to your question, since you have specifically ruled out the idea of adopting from a rescue. So my general advice would be read up on the breeds you are specifically interested in, so that you understand what the potential health problems can be and what to look out for in choosing a new bun, and then at least you can go prepared. For example, Rex rabbits are prone to getting sore hocks if not cared for correctly and some of the smaller breeds can suffer more from teeth problems.

little-laura
11-01-2013, 04:41 PM
are there animal rescues with bunnies in them or bunny rescues in the US? if there is I would rescue a bunny thats been neglected and give it all your love

Georgeypudding
11-01-2013, 04:43 PM
I wouldn't pick until I'd seen them, there is no set breed that is better than another

wendle
11-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Sorry but it sounds like mail order poor bunnys .... Just saying

little-laura
11-01-2013, 04:45 PM
The woman i am going to order my bunny off of said she doesnt get bunnys till around easter. So she said i can order one from her company and pay a 40dollar advance which is no problem. But i still have to figure out what type and color to order i heard the mini llops are very adorable and great sweet tempered but i would like a extremly soft bunny which is a rex but they have upright ears and i want one whith flopp ears. Please dont comment and say i shouldnt get a bunny from the pet store because i am going to regardless. :roll:

just read this and think that adding the rolling eyes at us is rude... you have come to a forum which from that comment you know if pro rescue then post that....

If you want a positive response to buying a bun there are other forums for that, I AM NOT SAYING DONT POST HERE but I am saying dont be rude and dont ask people to not post pro rescue stuff because its a pro rescue forum

RogerRabbit999
11-01-2013, 04:48 PM
I couldn't imagine ordering a bunny as I'm sure you would have to see them first to see which one catches your eye, appeals to you most. Some will be cheekier than others, and imagine if you order one and then it turns out to be the one that just sits on its own in the corner or something.

little-laura
11-01-2013, 04:52 PM
its more the fact of supporting dogey breeders... I dont like the thought of breeding when theres lots of buns in need in rescues, but it happens... its peoples choice to choose and when someone is educated on buns, knows rescues are there and still chooses to go to a breeder over saving a bun it is annoying and upsetting however I would rather people go to proper breeders and make sure they are not ****...

Mirth
11-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Research the breeds but keep in mind just because the breed guides say they are friendly doesn't mean it's true. I've met many breeds of rabbits, some are friendly like the breed says, some hate attention or being touched and they can be the same breeds. Since petshops and most breeders breed for looks, they don't care if they've bred from aggressive or rabbits with tooth malocclusions from their family line.

In this case of mail ordering bunnies, you just have to go with one that you like the look of and hope it's what you and your bunny wants.

bethepoet
11-01-2013, 05:16 PM
May I ask why you've ruled out rescuing? It's your decision, I'm just curious. You can get exactly the same kind of rabbits in a rescue as anywhere else - just as small, cute and fluffy etc.

Babsie
11-01-2013, 05:33 PM
I find the rolling eyes after your comment about rescues quite uncalled for and I do not know why you felt the need to do that.

A lot of members here work extremely hard in 'rescuing' rabbits originally bought from breeders or petshops but are no longer wanted once they have grown out of the cute fluffy stage and become 'boring' so are just stuck in hutches at the bottom of the garden - often neglected and certainly unloved. They are then faced with bringing the rabbits back to health and attempting to re-home them to people who will love and care for them again.

Obviously anyone is welcome here and members are more than willing to give advice/opinions when asked for help.

I do, however, feel that if you want to get your rabbit from a breeder/petshop, you may be better suited to a forum more geared up to that.

wendle
11-01-2013, 05:45 PM
May I ask why you've ruled out rescuing? It's your decision, I'm just curious. You can get exactly the same kind of rabbits in a rescue as anywhere else - just as small, cute and fluffy etc.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

belgian2
11-01-2013, 05:49 PM
a couple of points..
if you are buying an animal from a breeder then I would expect to meet said animal before making a decision whether we would get along. I would also expect to see where he was bred,& what conditions his parents live in. if the parents are not well cared for and happy living in top conditions then I would not even consider paying the breeder for the baby. I'd report them to authorities instead.
it is very importent you see how the babies are bred as if badly kept you could be buying a load of very expensive health problems in future as bad breeders do not produce strong healthy stock.

secondly- rabbits are social animals- they should not come in 'ones' . it is not ideal for such a social creature to live alone and with even best intentions you will not be able to give the little one 24/7 attention-only another rabbit playmate can do that.

regarding which is cuter/friendlier . even in same breed rabbits can vary tremendously which is another reason I say you must see the rabbits before deciding. mail order really is not an option with pets|!

belgian2
11-01-2013, 05:55 PM
another point...

baby rabbits are only babies for a very short time. they don't always grow up to be as cute as they looked when little. true temperament only comes out when adult too-and also health problems often only reveal as adult also.

if you take a pair of bonded neutered rabbits from a rescue the temperament you see is what you are getting- their appearance won't alter much (ie if cute today will be just as cute next month) and they will be vet checked so nasty supprises like malaligned mouths needed constant dentals can be avoided- or planed for if you are set on that particular rabbit.

there are a lot of advantages to getting two adults

mini lop1
11-01-2013, 05:56 PM
welcome to the forum, im not going to say what is right or wrong as you will do as you want, but just wondering if there are any rescues in us n your area, you could then look for a bunny there you may fall in love with, without having to wait
also if you stick around on the forum you will learn lots more on rabbits, have you owned them before and understand there needs, vaccnations, neutering, companionship etc, gong to a rescue could benefit this you could adopt 2 unwanted bunnies that are already bonded and neutered :wave:

RedFraggle
11-01-2013, 06:36 PM
If you don't want a rescue rabbit I think you should pick your rabbit yourself after speaking with the breeder and seeing their rabbits and assuring yourself that the rabbits are being bred responsibly (i.e. not overbreeding and not continuing to breed from lines that have known hereditary health issue etc.).

I'm afraid I share the same opinion as others, and the only soft lop eared rabbit I would "mail order" is one like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002WD80QO/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550950189&ref=asc_df_B002WD80QO

wendle
11-01-2013, 06:43 PM
If you don't want a rescue rabbit I think you should pick your rabbit yourself after speaking with the breeder and seeing their rabbits and assuring yourself that the rabbits are being bred responsibly (i.e. not overbreeding and not continuing to breed from lines that have known hereditary health issue etc.).

I'm afraid I share the same opinion as others, and the only soft lop eared rabbit I would "mail order" is one like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002WD80QO/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550950189&ref=asc_df_B002WD80QO

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Alison Marie
11-01-2013, 06:56 PM
if you want to buy from a breeder that's your choice - just please make sure you don't get bored of it when it has grown into into an adult and is no longer small and cute and fluffy :D

i'd wait until the bunnies are born to choose one - it's not just about their looks but their personality too.

William
11-01-2013, 07:09 PM
If you're in the US, there are rescues, but more likely than not the rescues won't be near you. The Humane Society and other shelters sometimes have rabbits or you could get bunnies off of free ads, like craigslist. That way you could be rescuing buns that need homes and not supporting bad breeding (pet stores normally get their stock from mills, which besides being immoral, the buns might not be healthy and might be removed from their mothers early).

Or you could buy from a good breeder but you'd definitely need to visit the breeders and see the conditions they keep their rabbits in, make sure they're breeding responsibly, feeding the correct foods (mostly hay), etc.

Are you only planning on getting 1 bun? They're social and tend to do best in a male/female pair (spayed and neutered obviously).

Fee
11-01-2013, 07:14 PM
I think this person is a troll and we shouldnt respond... Just wants to stir things

margarita
11-01-2013, 07:21 PM
I live in the US and YES there are tons of rescues.

http://www.petfinder.com/

You can put in your location and even breed, age and gender

Please atleast take a look and consider.

William
11-01-2013, 07:31 PM
I live in the US and YES there are tons of rescues.

http://www.petfinder.com/

You can put in your location and even breed, age and gender

Please atleast take a look and consider.

Depends on where you are and how far you can drive though. I'm in Florida and the closest rabbit rescue to me is in Gainesville, FL and that's like 1.5 hours away.

RedFraggle
11-01-2013, 07:48 PM
I don't think this is a troll thread, they haven't logged in since 2 minutes after posting and a troll would be more interested and continue to provoke. I think it's just someone that wants a non-rescue rabbit. They're are clearly aware it's a pro-rescue forum to comment the way they did but have chosen, as is their right whatever the popular opinion may be, to get a non-rescue rabbit. The best the pro-rescue amongst us can do is encourage a purchase from a responsible breeder.

Tamsin
11-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Going to a breeder is your choice but, the person you've chosen doesn't sound quite right. You definately need to see where the rabbits are living and choose the rabbit from the litter yourself. Breed is about looks but if you want a rabbit with a particular personality eg one happy to be picked up you need to meet the rabbits and see how well handled they are.

If you go to the wrong breeder you can end up with rabbits that have genetic problems eg teeth/heart defects from bad breeding or health issues such as parasites from bad conditions.

obsessedwithanimals
11-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Regardless of whether you are a troll or not I just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum! :wave:
It would probably be better if you tried to find a local rescue as they'll be able to help you and match you up with a suitable bunny that needs a loving home. They'll also be able to find the type of bunny with the right character for you ( I often find baby rabbits change change their temprament when they become adults and it's nicer to get a rescued adult bunny who you know will have the temperament you want otherwise you might be disapointed when your baby buns doesn't grow up to be how you would've liked him/her to be) if that makes sense.

Sorry if you feel dazed by the sudden replies saying it isn't a good idea to buy from a breeder but I'm afraid most of the people on here are pro-rescue. :) x

William
11-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Going to a breeder is your choice but, the person you've chosen doesn't sound quite right. You definately need to see where the rabbits are living and choose the rabbit from the litter yourself. Breed is about looks but if you want a rabbit with a particular personality eg one happy to be picked up you need to meet the rabbits and see how well handled they are.

If you go to the wrong breeder you can end up with rabbits that have genetic problems eg teeth/heart defects from bad breeding or health issues such as parasites from bad conditions.

I don't think they have chosen a breeder, I think they asked the pet store to order a bunny for them.

wendle
11-01-2013, 08:26 PM
I don't think they have chosen a breeder, I think they asked the pet store to order a bunny for them.

The woman i am going to order my bunny off of said she doesnt get bunnys till around easter. So she said i can order one from her company and pay a 40dollar advance which is no problem :cry:

William
11-01-2013, 09:00 PM
The woman i am going to order my bunny off of said she doesnt get bunnys till around easter. So she said i can order one from her company and pay a 40dollar advance which is no problem :cry:

Yeah but I think the woman must be the pet store owner or something because she/he says at the end of the post "Please dont comment and say i shouldnt get a bunny from the pet store because i am going to regardless."

wendle
11-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Yeah but I think the woman must be the pet store owner or something because she/he says at the end of the post "Please dont comment and say i shouldnt get a bunny from the pet store because i am going to regardless."

:(

RedFraggle
11-01-2013, 10:14 PM
I am as pro-rescue as everyone else, however, as a pro-rescue forum we shouldn't be alienating rabbit owners on the basis of their current choices. Those owners with the right information and encouragement may choose to rescue rather than buy in the future.

Alvins mummy
11-01-2013, 10:26 PM
I am as pro-rescue as everyone else, however, as a pro-rescue forum we shouldn't be alienating rabbit owners on the basis of their current choices. Those owners with the right information and encouragement may choose to rescue rather than buy in the future.

:thumb:

jordanrose
11-01-2013, 10:54 PM
'Which colour should I order'? Are you having a laugh?!

Rabbits are not disposable commodities, they're not items of stock in a supermarket. They are living beings :evil:

As to what bunny you go for, that's up to you, and you will at least have time to read up on their care. PLEASE at least do this, for the rabbit's sake! (Maybe think of a pair, too- they're much happier that way).

William
11-01-2013, 10:58 PM
'Which colour should I order'? Are you having a laugh?!

Rabbits are not disposable commodities, they're not items of stock in a supermarket. They are living beings :evil:

I'm appalled at your attitude, to be honest :?

I dont think wondering what color to get means they don't realize rabbits are living animals.

I agree that we shouldn't run newbies off just because they aren't pro rescue.

Fee
11-01-2013, 11:02 PM
I just think its the manner in which the post was written has rubbed people up the wrong way..

The OP clearly knew that posting their last comment would invoke a reaction... and they havent posted since!! winding people up in the process having a good laugh probably..

DemiS
11-01-2013, 11:05 PM

Get whatever breed and colour you want because you're buying from what sounds like an animal mill, you will be supporting a cruel trade and most likely end up with a very unhealthy, inbred rabbit

There are a lot of rescues in America, fair enough if you don't want to go to one, there are reasons some people may not, but if you're not going to go to a rescue would you maybe consider going to a small breeder where you can see their rabbits and how they're kept, see the parents of babies you're considering and get to know what kind of person the breeder is for YOUR benefit and the rabbits? If not, what about rehoming a rabbit from craigslist/preloved/freeads? And as an absolutely last resort go to a pet shop but please please not someone who pre-orders from a mill at Easter (the time when surprise surprise everyone wants to buy an easter bunny for their children which gets forgotten about after a month)

jordanrose
11-01-2013, 11:05 PM
I dont think wondering what color to get means they don't realize rabbits are living animals.

But the way they have phrased it makes them sound like they're some kind of 'stock'. The idea of 'ordering' a rabbit doesn't sit right with me.

I'm all for responsible breeders, but this doesn't sound like one; the fact that there are choices of breeds, and there won't be any til Easter says that they're not focusing on lines of the rabbits. Instead, they're seen as a money-making device :(

I guess it's the language, but I for one did not like the OP's attitude. If you're going to go for a non-rescue that's fine, but try and find a good breeder where you know the parentage of rabbits, where babies are weaned at the right time, and where you know they are doing it for the good of the breed.

William
11-01-2013, 11:11 PM
But the way they have phrased it makes them sound like they're some kind of 'stock'. The idea of 'ordering' a rabbit doesn't sit right with me.

I'm all for responsible breeders, but this doesn't sound like one; the fact that there are choices of breeds, and there won't be any til Easter says that they're not focusing on lines of the rabbits. Instead, they're seen as a money-making device :(

I guess it's the language, but I for one did not like the OP's attitude. If you're going to go for a non-rescue that's fine, but try and find a good breeder where you know the parentage of rabbits, where babies are weaned at the right time, and where you know they are doing it for the good of the breed.

Yeah they're not a responsible breeder, it sounds like the pet store is going to order from their 'company' i.e rabbit mill.

I agree that they should be going to a good breeder or free ads instead but maybe the OP doesn't know that pet store rabbits come from mills and that mill rabbits are unhealthy, kept in bad conditions, etc.

RogerRabbit999
11-01-2013, 11:20 PM

Ordering a bunny and stipulating a colour is how you order clothes isn't it, not a living animal. Of course they realise it is a living animal, they're just not bothered about that, only with how it looks.

William
11-01-2013, 11:27 PM
Ordering a bunny and stipulating a colour is how you order clothes isn't it, not a living animal. Of course they realise it is a living animal, they're just not bothered about that, only with how it looks.

Ordering a bunny from a pet store is wrong but only because it's a pet store.

It's not wrong to order an animal from a responsible breeder or broker and to decide what breed and color you want. That doesn't indicate what kind of owner you are or that you're only bothered by how the animal looks. I know that the OP isn't ordering from a responsible breeder but the way you guys are acting is that it's wrong to order an animal period...

catherine09
11-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Sorry double post

catherine09
11-01-2013, 11:49 PM

You say that but most humans are drawn to an animal by its looks first and personality second, even us rescuers. I don't think there is any shame in that, to adopt an animal because you are drawn to its looks. I am determined one day to adopt a smoke pearl and himi coloured bunnies as they are my absolute fave, and I will wait for them to come up in rescue, I'm not ashamed of that in the slightest to be honest

I<3Rabbits
12-01-2013, 03:46 PM
I don't think the starter of this thread is going to post on this thread again:? Other wise I think she would of done by now.

Fee
12-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Definitely a troll post... wind up merchant

RedFraggle
12-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Or someone that we could have educated on rabbit care who will never come here again :(

Fee
12-01-2013, 05:39 PM
i doubt you could have educated someine who had no interest in listening...:roll: