• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What bunny should i get?

The woman i am going to order my bunny off of said she doesnt get bunnys till around easter. So she said i can order one from her company and pay a 40dollar advance which is no problem. But i still have to figure out what type and color to order i heard the mini llops are very adorable and great sweet tempered but i would like a extremly soft bunny which is a rex but they have upright ears and i want one whith flopp ears. Please dont comment and say i shouldnt get a bunny from the pet store because i am going to regardless. :roll:

Since this is a rescue forum I don't suppose you will get much response to your question, since you have specifically ruled out the idea of adopting from a rescue. So my general advice would be read up on the breeds you are specifically interested in, so that you understand what the potential health problems can be and what to look out for in choosing a new bun, and then at least you can go prepared. For example, Rex rabbits are prone to getting sore hocks if not cared for correctly and some of the smaller breeds can suffer more from teeth problems.

are there animal rescues with bunnies in them or bunny rescues in the US? if there is I would rescue a bunny thats been neglected and give it all your love

The woman i am going to order my bunny off of said she doesnt get bunnys till around easter. So she said i can order one from her company and pay a 40dollar advance which is no problem. But i still have to figure out what type and color to order i heard the mini llops are very adorable and great sweet tempered but i would like a extremly soft bunny which is a rex but they have upright ears and i want one whith flopp ears. Please dont comment and say i shouldnt get a bunny from the pet store because i am going to regardless. :roll:

just read this and think that adding the rolling eyes at us is rude... you have come to a forum which from that comment you know if pro rescue then post that....

If you want a positive response to buying a bun there are other forums for that, I AM NOT SAYING DONT POST HERE but I am saying dont be rude and dont ask people to not post pro rescue stuff because its a pro rescue forum

I couldn't imagine ordering a bunny as I'm sure you would have to see them first to see which one catches your eye, appeals to you most. Some will be cheekier than others, and imagine if you order one and then it turns out to be the one that just sits on its own in the corner or something.

its more the fact of supporting dogey breeders... I dont like the thought of breeding when theres lots of buns in need in rescues, but it happens... its peoples choice to choose and when someone is educated on buns, knows rescues are there and still chooses to go to a breeder over saving a bun it is annoying and upsetting however I would rather people go to proper breeders and make sure they are not ****...

Research the breeds but keep in mind just because the breed guides say they are friendly doesn't mean it's true. I've met many breeds of rabbits, some are friendly like the breed says, some hate attention or being touched and they can be the same breeds. Since petshops and most breeders breed for looks, they don't care if they've bred from aggressive or rabbits with tooth malocclusions from their family line.

In this case of mail ordering bunnies, you just have to go with one that you like the look of and hope it's what you and your bunny wants.

May I ask why you've ruled out rescuing? It's your decision, I'm just curious. You can get exactly the same kind of rabbits in a rescue as anywhere else - just as small, cute and fluffy etc.

I find the rolling eyes after your comment about rescues quite uncalled for and I do not know why you felt the need to do that.

A lot of members here work extremely hard in 'rescuing' rabbits originally bought from breeders or petshops but are no longer wanted once they have grown out of the cute fluffy stage and become 'boring' so are just stuck in hutches at the bottom of the garden - often neglected and certainly unloved. They are then faced with bringing the rabbits back to health and attempting to re-home them to people who will love and care for them again.

Obviously anyone is welcome here and members are more than willing to give advice/opinions when asked for help.

I do, however, feel that if you want to get your rabbit from a breeder/petshop, you may be better suited to a forum more geared up to that.

a couple of points..
if you are buying an animal from a breeder then I would expect to meet said animal before making a decision whether we would get along. I would also expect to see where he was bred,& what conditions his parents live in. if the parents are not well cared for and happy living in top conditions then I would not even consider paying the breeder for the baby. I'd report them to authorities instead.
it is very importent you see how the babies are bred as if badly kept you could be buying a load of very expensive health problems in future as bad breeders do not produce strong healthy stock.

secondly- rabbits are social animals- they should not come in 'ones' . it is not ideal for such a social creature to live alone and with even best intentions you will not be able to give the little one 24/7 attention-only another rabbit playmate can do that.

regarding which is cuter/friendlier . even in same breed rabbits can vary tremendously which is another reason I say you must see the rabbits before deciding. mail order really is not an option with pets|!

another point...

baby rabbits are only babies for a very short time. they don't always grow up to be as cute as they looked when little. true temperament only comes out when adult too-and also health problems often only reveal as adult also.

if you take a pair of bonded neutered rabbits from a rescue the temperament you see is what you are getting- their appearance won't alter much (ie if cute today will be just as cute next month) and they will be vet checked so nasty supprises like malaligned mouths needed constant dentals can be avoided- or planed for if you are set on that particular rabbit.

there are a lot of advantages to getting two adults

welcome to the forum, im not going to say what is right or wrong as you will do as you want, but just wondering if there are any rescues in us n your area, you could then look for a bunny there you may fall in love with, without having to wait
also if you stick around on the forum you will learn lots more on rabbits, have you owned them before and understand there needs, vaccnations, neutering, companionship etc, gong to a rescue could benefit this you could adopt 2 unwanted bunnies that are already bonded and neutered :wave:

If you don't want a rescue rabbit I think you should pick your rabbit yourself after speaking with the breeder and seeing their rabbits and assuring yourself that the rabbits are being bred responsibly (i.e. not overbreeding and not continuing to breed from lines that have known hereditary health issue etc.).

I'm afraid I share the same opinion as others, and the only soft lop eared rabbit I would "mail order" is one like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002WD80QO/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550950189&ref=asc_df_B002WD80QO

If you don't want a rescue rabbit I think you should pick your rabbit yourself after speaking with the breeder and seeing their rabbits and assuring yourself that the rabbits are being bred responsibly (i.e. not overbreeding and not continuing to breed from lines that have known hereditary health issue etc.).

I'm afraid I share the same opinion as others, and the only soft lop eared rabbit I would "mail order" is one like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002WD80QO/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550950189&ref=asc_df_B002WD80QO

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

if you want to buy from a breeder that's your choice - just please make sure you don't get bored of it when it has grown into into an adult and is no longer small and cute and fluffy :D

i'd wait until the bunnies are born to choose one - it's not just about their looks but their personality too.

If you're in the US, there are rescues, but more likely than not the rescues won't be near you. The Humane Society and other shelters sometimes have rabbits or you could get bunnies off of free ads, like craigslist. That way you could be rescuing buns that need homes and not supporting bad breeding (pet stores normally get their stock from mills, which besides being immoral, the buns might not be healthy and might be removed from their mothers early).

Or you could buy from a good breeder but you'd definitely need to visit the breeders and see the conditions they keep their rabbits in, make sure they're breeding responsibly, feeding the correct foods (mostly hay), etc.

Are you only planning on getting 1 bun? They're social and tend to do best in a male/female pair (spayed and neutered obviously).

I think this person is a troll and we shouldnt respond... Just wants to stir things

Back