• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Corrugated plastic roof and summer...

sashababe

Warren Scout
Hi all,

My set-up for the buns is a 6ft x 10ft run (4-5ft high), with a 6ft x 2ft hutch on 'stilts' with a ramp down so they get the full run of 10 ft underneath it as well. At the mo I am weather-proofing with tarps cable tied to the top of the run (it's all mesh) but am hoping to roof it with clear corrugated plastic. The whole run is against a solid fence on one side so they get a lot of shelter that way, but all 3 other sides are open. I'm wondering whether just covering the roof will keep the run dry in everyones experience? Also with the clear plastic covering the roof infront of the hutch, is there the chance the hutch could get really hot in summer? It's got a pop-hole where the ramp joins it and then about 2/3rds of the front is mesh with a boxed-in bedroom. As I say, not planning on covering the 3 open sides of the run at the moment, should that allow enough through-flow of air to keep the hutch cool?

Thanks

Holly

3 open sides is plenty to keep the air moving, it won't get too hot. If you run is 4-5ft high the roof won't keep all the rain out, but it will be good enough. They will probably sit in the middle which will be pretty dry.

Thanks, I'm hoping to have the plastic overlapping the edges of the run too so hopefully that will help stop the rain getting in

My OH uses perspex which is attached to our hutches. He makes it so they can be put on to give protection from the wind and rain and can be easily taken off when the weather improves. I've found that this works well and has done for the past 8 years.

Your set up sounds perfect. Lucky buns in having such a considerate Mum.:thumb:

My OH uses perspex which is attached to our hutches. He makes it so they can be put on to give protection from the wind and rain and can be easily taken off when the weather improves. I've found that this works well and has done for the past 8 years.

Your set up sounds perfect. Lucky buns in having such a considerate Mum.:thumb:

This is what we do in the summer the plastic covers come off and we have a sheet instead that we put over half the runs and keep wet keeps the runs cool :)

I've used corrugated plastic on top of runs for years and I've never found it gets too hot in summer...in fact to my surprise I've found it actually casts a little bit of shade! If the run is a few feet high I wouldn't worry about that at all. The higher the run, the more chance there is of driving rain getting in the sides when it's windy so I do tend to cover the sides with clear tarpaulin when the weather is bad. I'd like to replace it all with polycarb sides for proper winter protection but it's going to cost a lot to do so I haven't done it yet!

I inherited some 2nd hand twinwall plastic sheeting, and I'm so impressed that I'm going to get some more! I was using it to keep the run dry, but it's thick enough to provide decent shade too.

Back