• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Frankie - he's passed away

minky

New Kit
I just thought I'd give you an update on Frankie after all your good wishes and advice.

He passed away in the night last night :(

I spoke to the vet and we agreed last Friday it wasn't right to have him put to sleep as he'd started eating on his own again and was really showing much more spirit. We took him back to the vet on Wednesday to have his ear swabbed so they could test which antibiotic was correct for the ear infection and the vet weighed him - he'd put on 50g, so we were feeling really positive.

Last night he didn't seem himself - he was still out sitting with us, but his breathing was slightly laboured and he was a little stumbly. I stayed up till midnight with him and then put him to bed (in his run in the sitting room). I left him with fresh herbs - got up at 2.30am to check on him and he seemed quiet but OK - he'd eaten all the herbs I'd left. But then when we checked on him at 6.30am this morning he'd passed away. He looked peaceful lying on his side. I just wish I could have been with him and I hope that he didn't suffer.

Thanks again for all your advice over these last weeks.

I really don't know what I'll do without him - he's been such a huge part of my life. My house just feels completely empty and horrible with the pitter patter of his feet and the warmth he brought.

I'm so sorry for you, and he will have gone peacefully to all his waiting new friends. I really feel for you, in some ways I think it is worse when they seem to be rallying round, and then they leave, and I'm so sorry for all the pain you are feeling now. Nothing makes it any better, and you just have to take it one day at a time, and give yourself time to grieve.

Back