• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I being selfish wanting another rabbit?

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Recently looking at rabbits in need has made me want to rescue another rabbit. It breaks my heart looking at all their little faces :cry:
I just don't know weather to follow my heart or my head!
I would want to attempt to bond them with Alice and Bear, but what if it didn't happen or worse I jeopardised their bond?
But then at the same time how rewarding would it be to have a happy trio :love:
I just dont know what to do, I feel selfish thinking about it but then at the same time I feel selfish not considering the thousands of rabbits in rescue and the tons of love me and hubby could give.

Id not want to risk the bond i had but if you wanted why not have an upstairs pair and a downstairs pair :love:

This :love:

I want more but we need to move out first :(

I WISH! This would be my perfect situation!
Unfortunately were having some work done to our house to make downstairs open plan so cannot keep bunnies downstairs :cry:
Alice and Bear will soon be moving to have free range of our HUGE spare room and will be allowed downstairs when supervised.

We have always said when we would have a shed or playhouse when we have sorted our garden out but I can hear foxes out the back ALL the time and would be a nervous wreck every night leaving them outside!

Not an easy one, but I certainly don't think you are being selfish.

Maybe review the situation when work on the house is finished? :wave:

I felt like you, always wanting more bunnies, but instead opted for fostering, which is very rewarding and helping out rescue bunnies :thumb:

I felt like you, always wanting more bunnies, but instead opted for fostering, which is very rewarding and helping out rescue bunnies :thumb:

I have done the same. I think I could handle T&F through just about any change in circumstance I can imagine. But I was hesitant about taking on another pair - it's a much bigger commitment I think. Having said that, now I've got the fosters, it doesn't seem that way!

Of course if a trio bond would work, then it wouldn't be any extra work at all. I still think about this with T&F - Truffle is such an affectionate little bun I think she would accept other buns easily. But Fudge is a nightmare - properly grumpy and territorial - I don't think I'd be brave enough to ever attempt a trio with her!

If you have the time and space then go for it! But you have to take into account if it doesn't work you would probably have to find space for bunny and friend? I'd definately wait until the work was finished like.

I would love to foster! I have so much space to I just can't seem to find anywhere close enough :(

I want a third, purely so that when one passes away I won't have to think about adopt another one after such a short space of time (when Mae died Sebastian was so depressed I had to find him a new partner within days) but Imogen and Sebastian are SO in love I don't know what to do for the best :(

I want a third, purely so that when one passes away I won't have to think about adopt another one after such a short space of time (when Mae died Sebastian was so depressed I had to find him a new partner within days) but Imogen and Sebastian are SO in love I don't know what to do for the best :(

Its such a hard decision isn't it I feel for you :(

I would only consider adding a 3rd after 'dating' Bear and Alice with a new bunny, wouldn't just bring one home and hope for the best then have to deal with the consequences it didnt work out, I don't think I could be THAT selfish!

I'm just pondering it lots now as were renovating our spare room, due to be finished in the next few months, its completely uncharted territory for the buns so if I was to add a 3rd would only want to do it when we move Bear and Alice in as its 100% neutral. Its sort of a 'we do it then or never' situation.

Its such a hard decision isn't it I feel for you :(

I would only consider adding a 3rd after 'dating' Bear and Alice with a new bunny, wouldn't just bring one home and hope for the best then have to deal with the consequences it didnt work out, I don't think I could be THAT selfish!

I'm just pondering it lots now as were renovating our spare room, due to be finished in the next few months, its completely uncharted territory for the buns so if I was to add a 3rd would only want to do it when we move Bear and Alice in as its 100% neutral. Its sort of a 'we do it then or never' situation.

Yeah I'd only do it by dating them, it would be kind of selfish otherwise! That is the perfect time for another bun, worth a go!

I would only risk it if you have room to keep your existing pair seperate. Even if you date a third bun you cannot gaurentee it wont upset the balance of your existing pair and jeprodise the bond longterm.

Back