• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

treatment for EC

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Dorset George has what I am 99% sure is EC. We have a vets appt but with a non rabbit savvy vet. I know he'll need lapizole but two questions:

would meloxydil be ok or does it have to be metacam as his anti-inflammatory?
should he have baytril as well?

Wanted to go the appt fore-armed in terms of what to ask for!

Any advice would be welcomed! :wave:

Not sure about the meloydil but assuming it should have the same effect - your aim is to reduce the inflamation caused by the parasite.

An antibiotic is often used alongside as ear infections have the same symptoms so vets like to cover all bases.

Thank you. His balance isn't affected it's that his hind legs seem partly paralysed and he's lost weight. If the baytril is for ear infections only it sounds like it won't be needed then... :?

Ah okay, thank you both. I assumed EC as it was quick onset, but will see if vet suggests arthritis... :wave:

Using panacar helps, would recommend it after seeing a complete paralysed bunny getting better with that, antibotics and baby food/recovery food.

Aw ty for asking, and thanks to all who have posted...

He's now on lapizole plus anti inflam. but has another appt Tuesday night...

It's sad, as he's top of the hierarchy and mega-active, (plus hates being handled/confined) so I'm not sure I want to prolong things if he seems unhappy. We're seeing my rabbit-savvy vet Tuesday though so fingers crossed...

Back