• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update Roxy has gone pg3

Alvins mummy

Mama Doe
I've had to take her back to the vet she was very cold and not moving around this morning, just sitting with her eyes shut. They've admitted her and will warm her up and she how she is - Her temp was 36dgc.

She was showing so much improvement up to now, even attempting some pellets and had a nibble of some hay, I really thought we had turned a corner and she was getting better. :cry::cry:

Her tail is so wet, I bought wipes to try and clean off the urine. Is there anything else I could use?

How should I be keeping her warm at home. She has various beds with blankets and covers but that's obviously not keeping her warm for her temp to drop. I'll keep the heating on over night to help

Last edited:
:cry: Have you got a Snugglesafe or a hot water bottle? Hope the vets can help and she's home soon. Sending lots of vibes for Roxy xx

They didn't do the bloods last time as they were quite sure with what I was saying was happening and what the seen with her themselves that she had a kidney infection. The vet wants to get her temperature back up and see if she improves again later today if not do bloods today. Wish they just did it last week when I asked but until today she was so much better.

I only ask as the Stasis then Urinary infection could be a secondary problem (ie the result of something else) so although you've treated that and seemed better she may have something else going on that needs looking at.

How worrying. Hope Roxy shows some improvement today. I was going to suggest a snugglesafe, but someone has already said that.

[/B]

Of course you do - it is difficult to concentrate on anything else when you have a sick rabbit.

I'm just sitting waiting for the phone to ring. I have so much I need to do but just cant face it.

Thank for the vibes everyone its much appreciated.

I hope she's OK. Lots of hugs for you. I would have suggested the snugglesafe or I read somewhere about putting warm water in bottles so they can snuggle up to them. Doughnut has a fleece blanket, maybe you could put one over her when she's sleeping!

Hope she picks up soon, having a sick rabbit is awful. When Doughnut is sick I feel physically sick too. These little fluff pots are such a worry to us but so rewarding. xx

Thank you.

I have fleeces and towels in their sleeping areas and funnily enough I did wrap her up last night as I thought she seemed a bit cold. I'll do the bottles too as I can cover more than one place then.

I know what you mean, I've been in a right state this morning as I was worried they would suggest PTS so had worked myself up about it. I said as soon as I went it "I want to do whatever to save her" so letting him know it wasn't an option.

What did you do to dry Doughnuts wet tail? I've been holding kitchen roll to Roxys bum to try and dry it.

Yes I did that but to be honest in the end I gave up. She was wet for 3 months while I was being told she was fine. Now she's on the right meds and is fingers crossed getting better she is dry. For me it was never ending, wet patches everywhere where she begged and had a wet bum and was constantly weeing outside her hutch all on the floor. Not her fault but I was just constantly clearing up.

I was putting newspaper down which she liked sitting on which I thought may help her dry her bum a bit. She was good about me wiping her with kitchen towel though. I guess it depends how often it is as I was fighting a losing battle. She was constantly flicking her back legs in annoyance as she was wet.

Hope your little one is dry soon.

I've lost count of the number of nights I would check her literally every hour and have to work the following day. I lost weight with worry and if I was eating my dinner and then she made an awful noise that was it, I couldn't eat any more and felt physically sick.

Fingers crossed Roxy will be on the mend very soon. You're not alone if that helps! xx

You're certainly not alone- I'm sitting here worried sick and not able to concentrate either. The forum really helps though doesn't it? Fingers crossed for all of our special bunnies. :wave:

You're certainly not alone- I'm sitting here worried sick and not able to concentrate either. The forum really helps though doesn't it? Fingers crossed for all of our special bunnies. :wave:

How is your little one?

Doughnut seems more active now and back to normal. I know she's not as it will take months but the meds are certainly keeping her well.

It does help to know people are interested in your little rabbit and is willing them on to get better as well.

How is your little one?

Doughnut seems more active now and back to normal. I know she's not as it will take months but the meds are certainly keeping her well.

It does help to know people are interested in your little rabbit and is willing them on to get better as well.

He doesn't seem much better, listless and miserable. He's had 6 injections in less than 48 hours and has bled from them, however he has eaten a bag (yes, a small BAG) of dandelion leaves, so that's an improvement on nothing. He's sleeping on the floor at the moment which is unlike him, he'd usually be chewing the cables by now. Still, we have to hope.

At least he has eaten, that's the main thing. Is he not tempted with any herbs or fresh grass?

Keep us posted and yes try and keep hopeful. I know it doesn't stop the worrying.

Doughnut always used to binky and she hadn't done one in 3 months. She did one on Christmas Eve all of a sudden but none since. I miss them and just hope the time comes when she's doing them again then I will know she's better.

Back