• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We have just had the shock of our lives

Julialarubia

Warren Scout
How horrible it was to get a phone call from my daughter on Wednesday at midday to say I had left the pen open when I had gone to feed and uncover the hutch/run and Cookie had gone! We posted frantic flyers through neighbours' doors and stuck posters up. She is such a shy, timid but that I was surprised she could have wandered far but we have so many foxes around, even during the day, that I felt the worst had happened. However, she was back in her bedroom yesterday evening - I had left the run open, which is connected to the hutch by a tunnel! What a relief! I was in tears and she looked at me like I was mad!:D

Yes, my daughter (16) says she was clever! I said she was more like acting like a teenager herself! When I asked her where she had been and did she realise the worry and angst she had caused, she looked at me as if to say 'whatever'!:lol::lol:

We used to have a houdini rabbit when I was a kid, didn't matter what we did she always escaped, but she always came back after a day or two so they obviously know where home is. (I don't think its ok to let them loose by the way as of course there is the risk of predators etc but accidents happen).

Glad you got her back safely.

One of our gates in the enclosure developed a problem with the latch unbeknown to us and in a high wind one day it dropped the bolt and gate blew open. We came home after half a day out to find gate wide open and my heart sank. I thought oh thats it never see my lovely bunny again but I rushed in and he was sitting about 2 feet from gate with a very worried expression on his face ( I didn't know they could look worried::?) staring at the gate and if he could have spoken I am sure he would have said " thats not normal I don't like it shut it please".

so I know that feeling of relief very well:thumb:

Awh that sounds like a horrible thing for you to go through :( obviously she feels so safe at home she didn't want to wander off too far!

I was laying in bed one night and I suddenly got a random fear that I'd not closed the rabbit's hutch, ran outside and there it was wide open! I couldn't see the bunnies at first because one was on the toilet and the other was laying out so flat! I was so scared before I saw them, it had been open for a couple of hours and it's the door I would leave open when they free-ranged so I don't know why they didn't run off!

We're all human so it's inevitable we will occasionally make mistakes :( it's a good job bunnies think with their tummies, they don't like straying too far from where they get their dinners!

When I was a teenager I had a guinea pig. He lived with his bunny friend (I know now! We didn't then!) and when they went out free-ranging, he'd usually get tired before his friend, and take himself back to his hutch for a nap in his bedroom. Rarely had to put him back in myself.

Anyway, I go one morning to feed them and nearly died because he wasn't in his hutch! :shock:

After a frantic search, I found him hiding under a bush, munching on dead leaves. Clearly he hadn't put himself back...:oops: Thank god it was the summer...

Never did that again. Always put him back in myself after that. And checked a few times.

I have had a couple of escaped hamsters in the past - one of them managed to get down a whole flight of stairs :roll: - the first feeling is just awful, followed by the tremendous relief when you find them safe and sound.

Can only imagine it being 10x worse with an escaped bunny - so glad she came back :thumb:

Back