• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long does it take for pooping to resume after GI stasis?

Hesperus

Warren Veteran
Hi everyone,

Another question relating to Ludo, I'm just so worried.

He's eaten a few pellets and has been slowly nibbling through some hay, not very much for a healthy bun but quite a few strands.

However he's only done one poop and it's tiny.

Should the hay and pellets be coming through into poops yet? How long does it take if they respond to treatment? He's had all his meds at 12pm this morning and is having Fibreplex throughout the day (one more dose tonight).

Thanks so much for your help in advance. Sorry to flood the forum but I just need some comfort!

Things can move slowly at first and it is not unusual for gut motility medication to be needed more than as just a one off dose

Try to get him moving around as that will help his gut motility. Also, try to encourage him to have a good water intake. Feed any Veg he is accustomed to and leave it wet from rinsing it.

Thanks for this, the support means a lot to me. :love: He's going back to the vet tomorrow morning so he can have more gut mobility stuff then.

He has been running around almost as normal, including hurdling over things (he doesn't actually seem ill at all, just the occasional funny tummy movement).

He has regained interest in water in the past hour, and is now eating 3 strands of hay at once instead of 1. I'm hoping these are good signs and hope to find more than one poop when I check again after my bath. He ate three pellets too when placed near him. Perhaps the Fibreplex is doing something?

Thanks for this, the support means a lot to me. :love: He's going back to the vet tomorrow morning so he can have more gut mobility stuff then.

He has been running around almost as normal, including hurdling over things (he doesn't actually seem ill at all, just the occasional funny tummy movement).

He has regained interest in water in the past hour, and is now eating 3 strands of hay at once instead of 1. I'm hoping these are good signs and hope to find more than one poop when I check again after my bath. He ate three pellets too when placed near him. Perhaps the Fibreplex is doing something?

The fibreplex may be helping too. It sounds as though he is on the mend and hopefully there will be a lot more output overnight :)

I agree with Jane. It can start of slowly and hopefully will increase as time moves on. when mine had it earlier in the year the vet rang me every night for a week to ask me how many poops she had done to make sure they were increasing and getting larger in size :lol:

The good news is that he's eaten 2 saucers of fresh grass, 2 small bags of fresh mixed leaves and a fair amount of hay. The bad news is that he hasn't pooped yet. He's also been drinking some water (someone had to hold a bottle to his mouth, guess who that was). I've sat with him now for 11 hours with only two breaks so I think I'll go to bed now, he's got plenty of snacks to keep him going!

Thanks for asking I appreciate it :wave:

The good news is that he's eaten 2 saucers of fresh grass, 2 small bags of fresh mixed leaves and a fair amount of hay. The bad news is that he hasn't pooped yet. He's also been drinking some water (someone had to hold a bottle to his mouth, guess who that was). I've sat with him now for 11 hours with only two breaks so I think I'll go to bed now, he's got plenty of snacks to keep him going!

Thanks for asking I appreciate it :wave:

That's great news.:D With that amount going in at the top end, I feel you'll have a nice present of poops in the morning. Yes, you can have a good night's sleep now.:)

He's moving around lots, I've got him living with me in my study for a bit so he can free range. Excellent news is the vet can hear some gut movement :D

Only three tiny poos this morning... surely he needs to go :cry:

Please don't panick. Ludo probably has to fill up his whole gut before anything come come out. That's why the poohs are so tiny. He has to fill up his caecum too, to digest his food properly & that's huge in rabbits.
It's great that he has bowel sounds, but everything can be very slow at 1st.

Stasis buns can vary alot when they start to poop again.
When they start to get gut slow down it's usually how much are they pooping? (Although with high gut stasis they can sometimes carry on pooping less after they've stopped eating)
When they're recovering from stasis it's how much are they eating?

I'm really impressed with Ludo that he's eating hay to stimulate his gut, particularly that he's drinking, because that helps the food through.
Please keep us updated.

ETA I'm so sorry I raised your expectations. My own bun had problems at the lower end of his gut, so he didn't get so empty, & started pooping again relatively quickly.

Last edited:
Thank you so much this made me almost cry with relief and please it wasn't your fault and you raising my expectations it was me I didn't realise this darned problem was so slow to treat. My bridge bun had an eye problem and you could see results the next day and this certainly is slower.

He is eating a bit now, not a normal diet, but bits here and there so I still have hope for him and those blasted poos!

Don't worry, I know what it's like to have a stasis bunny - shattered, nerves frazzled, & a few more strands of grey in your hair!:lol:
When Ludo comes through this, I'll show you a very old thread of what some of us did to reduce the risks of stasis.

Thanks yes, when this is sorted I'll be thinking of prevention.

No poops this morning, but he has eaten more and seems perkier. Still, back to the vet as they said no poops then come in...

Glad he is perkier, the vet will be able to feel if things are moving and maybe give some more messages. Keep up with the fluids too. I'm sure it is a matter of time before he is 100 percent.

He's been!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

A big pile of bigger, lighter poos than he's done for days!

Rang the vet and he doesn't have to go in as he's eating normally too :D:D:D:D:D

Back