• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hamster ownership - *very pic heavy*

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
Just thought I would show how much I have learnt from the kind people of the hamster forum helping me along the way improving my hamsters set ups :)

What Hammy was in for about 5 months :cry: with a 6.5 inch flying saucer :(

PICT0018-2.jpg

Then we upgraded her to a tank - I regret not giving her enough substrate for digging :( she was never bothered any way but I still feel bad! Wheel was still too small.

PICT0043-1.jpg

Got the right sized wheel - then tank became too small!

IMAG0407.jpg

Then I convinced my bf a ZZ2 would be perfect for our bar chewing Hammy :D

IMAG0437.jpg

IMAG0501.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0288.jpg

I bought her a flying saucer which she loved being on but unfortunately she only enjoyed it for 3 days before we found out she had a massive tumour in her stomach :cry:

IMAG0367.jpg

Then in April we went into p@h and I saw April circling her tiny, empty tank .. I knew something would be wrong with her. She had been in a home for a week before being returned to the shop and was put in the adoption bit. She was 'spinning' and pacing a lot and also had suspected brain damage from being dropped 3ft when the guy got her out :(

Then I spent about 5 days letting her explore the ZZ2 with her small cage inside -

IMAG0381.jpg

When I took it out - I kept it really busy for her so she always had something to do which worked for a while but soon realised she needed a 'structure' to where everything was.

IMAG0384.jpg

IMAG0761.jpg

Last edited:
IMAG1007.jpg

IMAG1100.jpg

I then realised in Aprils case that bigger wasn't better so bought her a KIOS -

IMAG1280.jpg

She was a lot better in this but eventually everything went wrong and aside from spending every waking hour spinning in one spot she also had a huge tumour.

..Then Phoebe came along while we still had April.. The "are you sure you want her? she's aggressive and bites" ..well YEAH! :roll: I am never stepping foot inside p@h again.

In the settling in cage -

IMAG1352.jpg

Phoebe had numerous set ups in the tank so I won't post them all :lol:

IMAG1405.jpg

She was a nightmare for digging so I was constantly trying to keep megazorb out of the food bowl and sand bath :lol:

IMAG1560.jpg

Then Phoebe moved into the ZZ2 -

IMAG1571.jpg

And now she is in the KIOS/Combi1/Paula set up currently :)

DSC_0163.jpg

And then Apollo had it more or less right from day 1 :lol: (I had no idea hamsters could squeeze through gaps as small as he got through.. Poppy made friends with him though before my bf found him on the floor! :shock:) The roof is fixed now.. it's totally flat on the lid :lol:

DSC_0162.jpg

Sorry if it's a bit long winded and boring :oops: I thought it might be interesting as there is always the chance to improve if needs be :D I was a terrible hamster mummy to start with :cry: I like to think I'm a decent one now :D

Aaw it's nice to see the changed uv made over time and u were never a bad owner, just didn't know any better bit no one can accuse u of not making constant improvements! I got a similar response in PAH when I got Heidi, all he did was tell me how nasty she was! I feel like walking in there holding her and say remember that horrible nasty rabbit that no one wanted... Well done for taking on all ur hammies and doing ur best for them :thumb: :wave:

Back