• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns back from the dentist!can rabbits cough!?

sun_city_girl

Warren Veteran
Hes been for his teeth op - they said he had some small spurs and one tooth was a bit long but not as bad as we thought, poor guy is so wobbly right now, when he got out of his carrier he obv thought he was okay and went bounding into the living room to his spot but was like a drunk wobbling about, they have given us some fibreplex to give him but they didnt give him a metacam injection but we have some here so I will give him some later when I give the fibreplex.
just gotta keep a close eye on him now and hopefully he will start to eat soonish, when he is a bit less drunk.

Last edited:
hope he perks up soon, glad the op went well, some bunnies feel sore with their teeth with the smallest of faults even before they develop spurs, hopefully you'll get him munchking away soon x

hope he perks up soon, glad the op went well, some bunnies feel sore with their teeth with the smallest of faults even before they develop spurs, hopefully you'll get him munchking away soon x

thank you, he is still drowsy and we managed to syringe him some metacam but he was annoyed, he is not interested in food at all and I am guessing will only be able to eat soft stuff, I have some fibreplex for him and have mixed up some critical care and put that in his bowl, will mash up some pellets later and try him with some banana, I think he might still be too groggy, I remember when hitley had to have ga and it took him ages to eat anything probably unti late evening, so I will be staying up with him until he munches....

Maybe some herbs ro tempt him?
Defdo think the nana is a good shout xxx

I tried him with parsley but it was a no go and thats usually his fave!
He still seems quite drowsy and peeved, my boyfriend is about to have some banana so we will put some out for Bun and see how that goes, he hates being syringed stuff but I will give him another dose of the fibreplex soon. He has done a wee but nothing food/poos wise. He keeps sort of grinding his teeth a bit like he is in pain even though Ive given him metacam - I dont know why they didnt give any but on the receipt it says they gave torbugesic which I read is pain relief although Im not sure how that lasts etc, they gave him an anti-sedative injection, Im not really surprised he is still drowsy...

Glad he is round from the op all ok.

I'd imagine if he's still feeling wobbly he just won't fancy eating, also he's had a stressful day so probably just wants to chill out. Poppy isn't a nervous bun at all and the vets doesn't really phase her but even when she goes for a consult she sometimes won't eat straight away when she gets back, it's like she's in a mood-they like to panic us :roll:

I'm sure he will be feeling better soon, just have his favourite food near him so when he fancies something he can have a nibble.

Glad he is round from the op all ok.

I'd imagine if he's still feeling wobbly he just won't fancy eating, also he's had a stressful day so probably just wants to chill out. Poppy isn't a nervous bun at all and the vets doesn't really phase her but even when she goes for a consult she sometimes won't eat straight away when she gets back, it's like she's in a mood-they like to panic us :roll:

I'm sure he will be feeling better soon, just have his favourite food near him so when he fancies something he can have a nibble.

yeh, thanks, ive put all different food around him, i think im just being over-worried, he keeps sneezing loads, poor Bun!

Awww bless him, glad he's safely through the op and I'm sure he'll feel loads better once everything settles down after the op. Did you go for iv fluids or not in the end?

Awww bless him, glad he's safely through the op and I'm sure he'll feel loads better once everything settles down after the op. Did you go for iv fluids or not in the end?

the vet said because he had been eating and drinking that he didnt need them, I dont think the op took as long as they thought, there was no mention of subcut fluids on the receipt either !?
I know he had a mix of ketamine/dexmedetomidine which I think is pretty strong, Im guessing thats usual practice when its dental - i assume they cant give gas....but he is only a small bun so I think thats why he seems extra drowsy.....

hmm can rabbits cough?

What I thought was a sneeze, Bun keeps regularly doing, it sounds like a mixture of a cough,sneeze, hiccup and Bun sort of tilts his head up when he does it, He still hasnt eaten or drank anything, the noise has been on and off all afternoon and this evening, I am worried he may have aspirated some metacam or fibreplex even though only probably about 0.2ml of metacam went in and I dont think any fibreplex actually went in just smeared around his face or maybe the anaesthetic has caused it.
Hes making me worried that somethings gone wrong :(

Thanks for asking :)

He has only made the funny cough/sneeze noise once today,

he didnt eat for ages - I offered him all his fave treats and what finally tempted him!?
boring old hay lol!
he then seemed to rapidly improve and now seems pretty much his normal self, I just worry so much and then everything concerns me!

Bless him, glad he seems to be better. Maybe they intubated him and it irritated his throat?

Bless him, glad he seems to be better. Maybe they intubated him and it irritated his throat?

Do you know what? that is such a good point and I never even thought of that despite the fact I had a placement in the post-anaesthetic care unit when I was a student nurse and all the patients did was moan about their sore throats :oops:

Back