• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Extra wet poops!

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
Cecals?

I don't know which one it is.. I think it's Lola. For the past week I have been finding numerous large (and small) grapey poops in Donny and Lola's shed.

They have had no veg for about a month, no diet change, no treats, the same hay intake, drinking the same etc.

I thought it might be food related so I have been giving them less an less, they get about .. half a handful now but I'm going to give them a bit less too. This has helped and I found 1 or 2 very small grapey poops 3 days ago. I accidently forgot and gave them their 'usual' handful 2 days ago :oops: checked them in the morning, 3 big poops on top of the litter tray and 2 small ones on the floor.

Gave them less since then and yesterday I found a small poo on the floor. This morning I can't see any but I'll be able to tell for sure when I clean them out later.

Once I've got them to the food level I want them at (which seems to be working) I'll see if it has stopped, if not I'll take them to the vets. Or do you think the vets is needed sooner?

Could it be grass related? They have very little grass in the run now and while Donny doesn't mind, Lola still tries to pull it up. Can grass roots do something like this? The don't have access to the run at night because of how cold it is at the moment so have the run from about 7am - 10pm.

Last edited:
Since it seems to go when you give them less I think it is the amount. If it doesn't clear up definitely go to the vets.

I don't think it's to do with the grass. I would have thought if they didn't have any grass for months and then suddenly had a lot you would get lots of uneaten cecotropes but this isn't the case.

When I was giving Doughnut too many pellets when she was a baby I had cecotropes everywhere. I cut her down and now she's fine.

Since it seems to go when you give them less I think it is the amount. If it doesn't clear up definitely go to the vets.

I don't think it's to do with the grass. I would have thought if they didn't have any grass for months and then suddenly had a lot you would get lots of uneaten cecotropes but this isn't the case.

When I was giving Doughnut too many pellets when she was a baby I had cecotropes everywhere. I cut her down and now she's fine.

I'll carry on cutting them down then :) Donny looks deathly disappointed at dinner time :lol: I'll give it another week and monitor it, if it changes or anything I'll take them to the vets :D

I'll carry on cutting them down then :) Donny looks deathly disappointed at dinner time :lol: I'll give it another week and monitor it, if it changes or anything I'll take them to the vets :D

Oh Doughnut is positively starved, or pretends to be when it comes to pellets or veg!

You could always put them on hay only to see if it completely goes then started adding in. That way you will know if it is something else and I would then take them to the vets.

Do you give them pellets or is it veg?

Back