• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you pay for hay per kg?

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
I'm going through records amount of eating hay just now, since I gave the bunnies bigger hay racks. They ate loads before, but now they are eating even more :shock:

I'm paying £2.69 per 1kg from Burns for their meadow hay, and using about 3 or 4 bags a week. :shock: I know its not a loads of money in the grand scheme of things, but I am sure I could get the same quality for cheaper. Bales aren't an option, nor is local farm places or shops. Has to be somewhere online, and somewhere that delivers to the Highlands without whacking on a huge surcharge (as I don't support such companies!).

I'm going through records amount of eating hay just now, since I gave the bunnies bigger hay racks. They ate loads before, but now they are eating even more :shock:

I'm paying £2.69 per 1kg from Burns for their meadow hay, and using about 3 or 4 bags a week. :shock: I know its not a loads of money in the grand scheme of things, but I am sure I could get the same quality for cheaper. Bales aren't an option, nor is local farm places or shops. Has to be somewhere online, and somewhere that delivers to the Highlands without whacking on a huge surcharge (as I don't support such companies!).

I don't know about delivery to the Highlands but hayforpets.co.uk, best hay I've ever used :)

Am I right in looking on the website, £9 for 1.8kg?! :shock:

That includes delivery, they're heavy :lol: The 9.5kg lasts me ages for Donny and Lola and they get cleaned out daily with hay topped up twice a day. They have their litter tray padded out with cheap The Range hay or asda hay (now changed to baled hay!) then put a few handfuls on top, the rest goes in hay racks for them to empty:D

Last edited:
Am I right in looking on the website, £9 for 1.8kg?! :shock:

Yeah the small bags are extortionate BUT the biggest bag is much better value!

If you order the free sample (you just pay postage) to make sure that your buns like the stuff then it does work out much cheaper to buy the 9.5kg.

Eta the 9.5 bag works out at about 1.70 per kg (I think!) but it looks like they may charge a bit more for delivery to highlands, you'd need to ask them.

Last edited:
I buy my hay at Morrisons. It is only £1.19 a kilogram. I used to buy more expensive hay for them to eat and use this hay for bedding. They just ignored the expensive stuff so the Morrison's hay is now all that I buy.

That includes delivery, they're heavy :lol: The 9.5kg lasts me ages for Donny and Lola and they get cleaned out daily with hay topped up twice a day. They have their litter tray padded out with cheap The Range hay or asda hay (now changed to baled hay!) then put a few handfuls on top, the rest goes in hay racks for them to empty:D

Not for me, I have to pay delivery on top of that :( Still, I'll email to find out how much.

Not for me, I have to pay delivery on top of that :( Still, I'll email to find out how much.

No way! Delivery to Scotland is ridiculous, the metal rabbit runs I bought said the delivery to Scotland was £75!! On top pf the £50 they cost. Hopefully it's not much more x

No way! Delivery to Scotland is ridiculous, the metal rabbit runs I bought said the delivery to Scotland was £75!! On top pf the £50 they cost. Hopefully it's not much more x

Yep, and if Royal Mail gets privatised things are only going to get worse. I can sort of understand when its off shore islands as there's ferries for the couriers to pay, but I am UK Mainland! Most people class us as 'offshore' and a few even class us as 'International/Abroad'. It's mental.

I buy a bale (I thing its 15kg) for about £7 so around £2 a kg

You just confused the heck out of me cos I'd worked out that I pay 1.70 per kilo when I get less and pay more than you :shock:

Just got oh to check Maths, you pay about 50p a kilo Hun! Which I am insanely jealous of... I may look into bales!!!

You just confused the heck out of me cos I'd worked out that I pay 1.70 per kilo when I get less and pay more than you :shock:

Just got oh to check Maths, you pay about 50p a kilo Hun! Which I am insanely jealous of... I may look into bales!!!

I'm glad you've said this, because I thought I was going crazy thinking the same thing :lol:

shows how good my maths skills are :lol: (I did 15/7, what was I supposed to do?!) thankyou :oops::lol:

Previously I bought the £16.50 bag from hayforpets but I found a local supplier that does hay bales for £5 and there's a lot more hay for your money :shock: plus my buns like it so it#'s a bonus!

Back