• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

FAO Coineanach-sneezing bun video

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
Hello :wave: :)
I had a question stemming from Schtoffen's post regarding Big.
You posted a few videos of mouth breathing or sneezing rabbits. I was able to watch the first and third one. The second link was broken.
I have seen my own bunnies sneeze like 'Fionn'. Can you tell me what was wrong with this rabbit if you know? I have never been able to get their rapid fire sneezes on video, but sadly Mimzy came down with headtilt last year and he'd been sneezing like this on and off for years, getting abx each time because my vet thought he might have pasturella.
I'm concerned to see another bun sneezing this way. I thought it was just my three that did it, perhaps due to an allergen in my house, as they don't do it if I take them elsewhere (like the vets, of course, so the doctor would see them do it).
Just wondering if you know this bun's history.
Many thanks in advance for reading my post. :)

I'm sorry I missed this, I've been a bit ill and just saw it in unanswered posts.

All three of those bunnies died of heart disease. The second video is Lea-Anne's Dennis, it's the same idea, although he eats in the middle of it. The last bun (my Oidhche) also had the sneezes but I don't think we ever caught them on video. The head tilted up in both Fionn and Oidhche's case was mouth breathing, when they struggle for air and raise the head up in an attempt to get more in. The struggle for air and sneezes are caused by fluid on the lungs, which is a complication of the heart disease. It's most often found in Rex breeds and is a suspected breed fault, however it does occur in other breeds. Donnamnt's Pearl was not a Rex and died of the same.

To be honest, if Mimzy has been sneezing on and off for years, I would think it unlikely that he has heart problems. Even medicated rabbits deteriorate very quickly and obviously, I don't know about Fionn but Oidhche, Dennis and Pearl only had months after diagnosis. Oidhche died five months after that video was taken and without treatment I wouldn't expect a bun to last long. However I don't know what other conditions cause these kind of problems (my vet initially thought Oidhche had pneumonia) so there's no harm in mentioning it to them even if just for them to think from a different angle. Heart disease is diagnosed through x-rays, if bun is calm enough, or in our case, trying meds to see if they'd work.

Back