• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting albi neutered

Well we have decided to get albi neutered as we thought we had 2 doe's but as usually happens OH NO it's a buck!:lol: can anyone suggest a vet who has experience with rabbits local to worcester? and at what age can he be done? he is 9 weeks now do i just wait until his plums show up :lol:

I thought the youngest they could be done was 16 weeks. I'm in Warwickshire and my vet only works with rabbits and guinea pigs. He is just amazing and I totally trust and have faith in him. Just had Dipsy done last week. He was 6 months though and is a 'special needs' bunny and needed to make sure he was stable for anaesthetic. I bought him home about 5ish in the afternoon, next day was absolutely fine and back to normal, didn't need any pain relief at all, and although I've been checking to make sure the scar is all ok, I've given up now as can't actually find it, so guess it must be.

Its generally about 3-4 months you can get them done from, as that's when the plums usualy appear.
If you make a new thread titled looking for a rabbit savvy vet in then your area more people will reply.
Also your doe can be spayed at 5-6 months depending on how comfortable your vet is.
She will have an increased chance of uterine cancer if unspayed approx 80% chance she will get it if she remains unspayed. So deffo something to consider, also when she reaches sexual maturity her hormones can make her have phantom pregnancies and she can get territorial and may become nippy.
This has been my experience :) angel didn't like me for a while, then I got her spayed and she was back to 'angel' her ovaries also had cysts !! Which is scary as she was a year when she was spayed and if I had left that any longer it doesn't bare thinking about. :(
Are both buns the same age?

Thanx for the reply's and yes they are the same age their brother and sister, we will get albi done first then shiro abit later on in the year :)

Bless him. He's too young as others have said, but it is a good idea to research a rabbit savvy vet in your area before you have to book him in.

I'm sure someone near you on here will be able to help, but if not you could contact the Rabbit Welfare Association as they have a list of good rabbit vets.

Hi, I can personally recommend de Montfort veterinary surgery in Evesham.:thumb:
I've used them for over 17 years and they have always offered an excellent, caring and empathic service. There is a bunny savvy vet there called Andy Barside. He is fantastic.:thumb:

Well that's my recommendation......the rest is up to you. Best of luck for Albi. xxxx

Back