• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny determined to thwart attempts to keep post op staples safe!

FalkirkBairn

Young Bun
I have read some older threads giving advice on how to stop bunnies chewing their stitches and staples but I am having real problems with Honey. She has an injury just above her shoulder and she came home with a collar which she didn't like at all. Because she is prone to gut stasis I was worried about her not eating the cecotropes and liked the idea of the baby-gro as she would still be able to reach her behind.
Bought the baby gros and stitched them up a bit as they were loose at the neck. It wasn't long before she figured out how to get out of them. I kept a watch on her but she sucked at the sleeves until they were so damp she could stretch them and then slipped her paws backwards then pushed the babygro over her head.

She was a wee besom and clearly decided that if I was going to abuse her with clothes she was having a dirty protest! She always uses the litter tray but as she is being kept in the kitchen at the moment she just went and did her business all over the place. Sticky poo all over the rug, bleugh.
Round 1 to Honey.

Bought a better (so I thought) collar out of PAH. This was fine for 1 afternoon and 1 overnight. Overnight she decided on another dirty protest but the collar was still on. She managed to get the sticky poo all over the collar too so she must have been trying to eat it. I took the collar off and she went round eating the sticky poo off the rug. However by the next afternoon she had figured out how to get the collar off too. I have no idea how she did it and it was on tight enough but not too tight.
Round 2 to Honey.

I have supervised her in the kitchen every night so she can go without the collar or baby grow so she is getting maybe 6 hours per day without anything on. I am worried that she will injure herself trying to escape whatever method I use to keep her away from the staples. She doesn't actually seem too bothered about the staples when she does escape the babygro or collar but I don't want to chance her chewing them.

She got the op last Friday and I am wondering if I need to worry as much if she gets at them now. She is supposed to have them removed next Monday. The wound looks really fine and clean but I'd hate to get this far and have to start over if she decided to chew them out. If anyone has any other ideas I'd be glad to hear them as I'd quite like to win round 3 :(

Sorry, I haven't got any ideas for you to win round 3. But it does sound as if she is healing well and hopefully her desire to meddle with the staples will diminish.

You've been trying really hard to help her. Sometimes they are so ungrateful.;);)

Fingers crossed she is well on the road to recovery. :thumb:

Best of luck.

You can use a large sock and cut off the toe/add front leg holes, but It should be well on the way to healing now so if she's not shown interest yet you should be clear. If she does get it, the vet can glue the wound for the last bit if necessary.

Thank you both. I think maybe when I first posted it was the worst day for her as she was finished her meds and it had started to go black and blue. She was in a real strop that day throwing bowls and baskets around and I was getting desperate. Was also trying to give her some time out of vests and collars so she could groom herself etc. I didn't know if it was ok to have her inthe babygro 24/7? I thought the wound might need air apart from anything else.

She is sitting in the kitchen with me now and isnt bothering much about the wound. It looks nice and clean and hopefully will be ok. As you say they don't appreciate what we do for them lol. I have hardly had any sleep this week trying to keep an eye on her, just a few hours at a time. Had to go into work and fortunately am part-time now but still got a phone call from hubby to say she's got out of the vest again and I can't get it back on - aaarrrgggghhh!

Roll on Monday!

Back