• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winterproofing - Hutch/Shed

Fee

Wise Old Thumper
While patiently waiting my Willows arrival home with her 2 new husbuns. I am considering if my current set up will be warm enough.

Can I run this by you?

The weather up here is rumoured to be dropping to -11 ish in the next few weeks and Willow has started to moult...

I have a Shed (standard) no double walled insulation just single skin
Hutch (straw/hay in bedding area)
(straw/hay in hutch)
over hutch - insulated bubble wrap, hutch cover over the top
Snugglesafes (3)

I intend putting a foam playmat at the side of the hutch in between the bedding area and the shed wall and also at the back of the hutch to prevent dampness and water coming through

Can you all think of anything else that I can do to improve this further. There is no electricity supply to shed for heating...

Ta,
Fee x

Honistly I think that sounds fine :)

Mine have an uninsulated shed...storage boxes full of hay and blankets down on the floor :)

ETA we have snugglesafes too :)

Mine is the same as megansmummy :D I put 2 snuggle safes in front of their water bowl as I know they'll get warm paws when they're drinking, otherwise they ignore them :lol:

As long as there are snuggly warm places they can go it will be fine :D

Thanks.. I had also seen on here to put a snugglesafe and ping pong ball in the bowl to prevent freezing. It seems to work!,,

Megansmummy - you say you have a box of blankets? is it a storage box or a cardboard box??

Mine seem to have the same set up like you with the hutch inside the shed? I have thrown an old towel over the hutch as well and on the other side of the shed I have a table covered with a rug then an underbed storage box underneath full of straw/hay.

I think what you have sounds fine :wave:

Back