• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need some advice...

purplesponge

Warren Scout
In a nutshell, i'm moving out Friday, and am having to leave the buns with the family in my old room while i live in my new house (rented and doesnt allow indoor rabbits) Therefore, I have purchased a hutch for them at the new house ready for when the girls have there operation and everyone is bonded next month.

However, i'm really worried about them living outside, as they have all been indoor rabbits since i got them (end of last year). Simba is 7 months, and the two girls are 5 months. Is there any advice you can give me for keeping them warm outside, i imagine they wont be moving out till end of Feb (no rush to get them out of old room).

I know it's not ideal to have them outside so soon, but there is really no alternative :/ So any advice would be much appreciated :) Thank you

Can they not remain with your family until later in the year ? They will not have a full winter coat and it will still be far too cold for a House Rabbit to be moved outside in February :cry:

Can they not remain with your family until later in the year ? They will not have a full winter coat and it will still be far too cold for a House Rabbit to be moved outside in February :cry:

i know :/ whats the very earliest they can move out? and is there no way i can try and make it warmer, with those microwaveable things? the only other option is that there is a metal shed they can be kept in, but ive already read on the disadvantages of these types of sheds :/

i know :/ whats the very earliest they can move out? and is there no way i can try and make it warmer, with those microwaveable things? the only other option is that there is a metal shed they can be kept in, but ive already read on the disadvantages of these types of sheds :/

Even in a shed they wouldn't be warm enough without winter coats. Ideally you need to keep them indoors until around April but only then if the weather has warmed up.

Sorry have to agree - not a lot you can do except have properly heated outside accommodation (shed with heater) if your rabbits are only wearing an indoor coat. You could make them warmer, but not warm enough - in my opinion.

What temperature do you keep your house/room at? That's the sort of temperature they will need to transfer, or maybe a few degrees less. I keep my heated outside housing at about 10-15 degrees. But outside air temp this week is only going to be about 4 in our area.

We normally recommend April/May to changing to outside bunnies dependant on weather forecasts

Last edited:
i'm going to try and beg the landlord (a friend who also lives in the house) if i could have them indoors for a couple of months, if not, would fostering be an option? I'd hate to have to say goodbye to them, but I seem to quickly be running out of options :/

Back