• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

fishy smell in the rabbit room

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Since moving the buns inside/starting them on panacur solution the conservatory (where the rabbits are now living) smells kind of fishy :? I haven't pinned it down the anything (ie. not the hay or the litter tray specifically) but wondered if anyone could shed any light on what it might be? I need to go back to the vets over the weekend as they only gave me enough meds for 1 rabbit (or 14 days) so will ask then

Humphrey started to have very smelly urine the last few months of his life. That sound bad. He died from his heart, nothing to do with smelly wee. Anyway, his sister the beautiful Sophie died from EC. He never showed any symptoms but had several years later had been unwell and I asked my vet to ask for advice from Francis Harcourt-Brown and she recommended Panacur. That's when his wee started to smell really weird, very strong and unpleasant and yes, fishy. I thought it was the meds initially, but his wee always smelt like that after. My vet didn't have a clue why. He didn't show any signs of discomfort and he was already quite fragile with his heart, but I always felt uneasy about it, when the vet came to put him to sleep, he weed a bit and the vet commented on the smell again.
I'd be interested to know what it was though terrified in case I should have fought more about it. Humphrey was always a very sensitive soul, if there was any change or Sophie or his later partner, Jacob got poorly, Humphrey would go straight into GI. He had pneumonia, so many things. A real fighter but fragile emotionally. Much missed.

thats interesting thankyou, sorry about your loss :cry: One of the vet nurses has added me on fb and asked about the bunnies so have sent her a message :thumb:

thats interesting thankyou, sorry about your loss :cry: One of the vet nurses has added me on fb and asked about the bunnies so have sent her a message :thumb:

I'd be interested to know if you find out anything. Humphrey's the only bunny I've known with this. Even when the beautiful Sophie had EC and treatment her wee was normal.

Back