• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new rabbit "billy peter"

hannahr

New Kit
Hi guys just brought home my new male Netherland dwarf rabbit an as Iam new to caring for a rabbit just want home helpful tips really
He seems really shy an quite scared ...he goes under his house n his cage wen we go near him
We have had a little hold of him but I am ttrying to get him settlednin his new surroundings first
I've put a blanket over his cage as hes near the back door and I've left a light on for him
Any useful advice appreciated
Thanks

Hi :wave: you are doing the right thing leaving him alone to settle in, he'll be very scared at the moment as he doesn't know where he is and he doesn't know you! He would probably prefer it if you turned the light off, he will feel safer in the dark. Make sure he has plenty of hay to munch on, easy access to water and some food that he is used to. Do not attempt to pick him up for a while ( most bunnies are terrified when they are lifted off the floor as they think they are going to be eaten by a predator! A lot of bunnies never get to like being picked up, but they like to be stroked and snuggled on the floor :D you can get him to trust you over the next few days by offering him bits of food from your hand, then he will learn to associate you with nice things. If you have more questions ask away, you are in the right place! :wave:

I have a netherland dwarf/lionhead lop and she is very flighty, it's something I think can be common to a lot of nethies so you may find him difficult to handle even when he's settled in. Rabbits generally don't like being handled anyway. I'd leave him be for the time being with some food and hay.

Back