• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

IV fluids....

Mine fortunately haven't had surgery for a few years, when Santa used to have her dentals the vet routinely gave s/c fluids but not i/v. I guess it depends what sort of surgery is going on, I wouldn't have thought it was normal to give iv unless it was a particularly lengthy procedure...but things might have changed so I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Bun is going in for his teeth, the vet has offered to give IV fluids for an extra £50 or they will just give subcut, He has had some tummy problems because of his teeth in the last few days, pooing but not as much and seems to be finding it difficult to munch his hay so not eating so much either....
The vets offered the IV fluids as standard but they didnt say the amount they would give...

Tricky one...seems a lot especially to do as standard :? I think I'd probably ask the vet to explain why it is necessary for it to be iv rather than sc; normally for a dental I'd probably just do sc, but I don't know if there is particular value in doing it iv if the bun already has gut slowdown.

Back