• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting spot-on on rabbits head?

sammywoo

Warren Scout
Buster moved as I was doing his spot-on today and some of it went on the top of his head! Will it be ok? Would it irritate his skin there? They both hate having it done, neither are my friend right now :(

If the bunnys are together just be careful the other bunny don't lick his/her head unless its not poisionous if they do lick it :wave:

Unfortunately they aren't together at the moment so luckily that isn't a problem! Do I really have to keep using the spot-on every month? They get so stressed and absolutely hate it!!x

Unfortunately they aren't together at the moment so luckily that isn't a problem! Do I really have to keep using the spot-on every month? They get so stressed and absolutely hate it!!x

What are you using it to treat?

I only used spot-on once when I first got my buns as a preventative to flystrike...caused severe burns on Bugsy, so I never used it again. I think if a normal bunny's environment is kept clean, then there shouldn't be a risk of flystrike. Usually flystrike occurs in summer months if a bun has a messy bun, and a messy bum would usually be a sign of diet issues.

Pebbles had a mite once..treated with Ivermectin (not sure if it the same ingrediant as spot-on) but I would only use it if I see mites.

Edited to say : not sure if it is poisonous..but I would be tempted to wash it off with a damp cloth. And definitely wash it out if you signs of inflammation.

The vet said we should do it monthly when we first got them. But they're indoor buns and kept very clean so I don't think I'll do it again now. They really hate it. Thanks for your replies xx

The vet said we should do it monthly when we first got them. But they're indoor buns and kept very clean so I don't think I'll do it again now. They really hate it. Thanks for your replies xx

I've never been told this by my vet and have never done it. Is your vet rabbit-savvy?

I do mine regularly cos I have 9 cats and 2 dogs, so fleas can be a problem, luckally mine are good and let me put it on them, the odd time matilda ends up with it running down her neck, she licks it, then pulls a face and leaves it :lol: I no from experience it tastes vile!!

Back