• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox has killed two of my bunnies

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I heard a weird noise last night and went down to investigate and found Molly dead and Bumble dying - fortunately he died very quickly. The fox ran past me but then stopped and when I ran towards it, it remained where it was. It was huge and I was really scared it would attack me. I made a hissing sound and it ran off then.

It was like a scene from a horror movie with these two white buns lying on their side on the ground. It is quite dark outside. I just didn't know what to do. I live alone and, since being dumped just before Christmas, don't have a partner. It was 3.30 am so not really a good time to call a friend up, although I did try my friend Hector but he didn't hear his mobile.

The fox kept coming back. I went to find something to wrap the buns in and was sick. I knew I had to pick them up but I so didn't want to. They looked very peaceful but I wasn't sure if they had injuries on the sides they were lying on. I picked them up with a blanket and lay them on a throw in the carrier. I put them together so they were snuggled and stroked them both and said 'good-bye' before I covered them up. Then I had an asthma attack:(

I then tried to make the other hutches/runs more secure. I have no idea how the fox got at the buns. They were in a hutch and the door that was open had swollen and was so tight that I could only open it from the inside. I wonder if I either left it open a little after cleaning them out last night or they both pushed against it and got out and then the fox pounced.

I couldn't find Frangipan - it was dark and I couldn't see that well but I thought the fox had probably taken her away. Went to look for her body next door but nothing.

I went to bed but kept hearing movement and so got up to shoo the fox away. I left all the lights on downstairs and kept going outside. The fox wasn't remotely scared of me though.

When I went to feed the buns this morning I noticed a white blur by Hovis' hutch - it was Frangipan. She had hidden under Hovis' hutch - the gap is too small for me to put my hand under - or for a fox to reach her. She did come out and I picked her up. She is now in my bedroom in a pen. She has no physical injuries and I will bond her with Hovis eventually but, for now, she can stay with me. She likes human attention fortunately.

My wonderful, wonderful, bunny friend Sam (Bluesmum) came over and has strengthened the hutches and runs for me so the remaining buns are safe. She has put some wood under the trio's hutch so they can't go underneath it which means I can catch them and lock them up at night. She also lent me the money - £160 - to have Bumble and Molly cremated together.

I feel so bad for not keeping my fur family safe. I've lived here 12 years and never had a problem before as the hutches were fox proof. I must have just left the door ajar or something.

I couldn't bring the other seven buns in last night because I couldn't catch three of them and I have nowhere to put them all as they are in separate pairs/groups/single.

I am sure the fox will come back tonight but I will watch out for him. I am sure the buns are secure in their hutches but I am not taking any chances.

Binky free Bumble and Molly. Mummy loved you both very much.

Last edited:
I am so so sorry - how :censored: awful it must have been to have to deal with it all. Those foxes are an absolute menace they really are! I would hate to have to go through something like this - and alone as well! Big hugs to you!

Oh I am so sorry to hear that, it must've been so traumatic for you :( foxes are such horrid creatures, they kill for fun.. it's disgusting, I don't know whether you're in a rural area or not but is there anyone you know who could come out and try and shoot the fox? x

I'm so very sorry you had this very distressing experience. :cry:

What a blessing, though, that you have such a good friend to help you.

Binky free Molly and Bumble. xxx

How awful :( Especially having to deal with it all on your own. I would have been freaking out.

Sleep tight angels x

God, you have been through a real trauma. How dreadful. I live alone too. Most of the time I really like living alone, but sometimes it is so hard not having someone else about in a crisis. I'm so very sorry for your loss x

Oh Karen I am really really really sorry to hear you have lost Molly and Bumble. :cry::cry::cry: Its quite possible they may have died of fright before any injury. I found my first girl after a fox tried to break in and she died of a heart attack. I saw the fox and heard Sunshine scream.

Horrible nuisance foxes. Unfortunately he will keep returning. :(

Only a call or pm away. So very sad for you.

I am so sorry about what has happened. Such a shock and so distressing. RIP little ones.

Cotton please remember humans have choices outside our instincts, animals do not – this is the difference between them. Foxes... it's just nature.

I am so sorry to hear about this :( Sending big hugs your way and I hope the rest of your bunnies are safe from now on xxxxx

Oh No Rhianna.. What horrible news. I am so sorry to hear about Molly and Bumble.. So so sad.

Huge hugs to you and noserubs to Frangipan who must have been so scared....

Thinking of you
Fee xxx

Back