• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth Crunching

marchi1990

Mama Doe
Firstly, hello.

I am new to this blog so it may take me a while to get a hang of things.

I have what I believe is a slight problem with my male lop ear rabbit, Woody. He is 4.5 years old.

About 1 month ago I took him to the vets because I knew he was not feeling himself (he had stopped eating). They said that he had dental problems - that his teeth had become jagged and had therefore cut into his tongue.

They shaved them down and sent him on his way.

However, over the last couple of days I have noticed that he has been 'crunching' his teeth. Not when he is eating, just when he is led next to me. It sounds just like it would if you were crunching on a nut for example.

Could he have the same problem again so quickly?

Many thanks.

I think when a bunny grinds their teeth they are in pain , did ya bunny have a GA when he had his teeth done so the vet could get to the teeth right at the very back :wave:

Unfortunately it is very possible for him to have the problem again in such a short time :(. One of my rabbits went through an awful 4 months, where he needed a dental every month.

Just in case you are not aware, tooth crunching can happen for two very different reasons. One is pain, and can be accompanied by lethargy, a general 'off-colouredness', not eating, not being able to get comfortable etc. The other is comfort, almost like when a cat purrs. My bunnies tooth crunch when they are being groomed or stroked, and it means they are happy.

If you think your bun could be crunching because he is in pain or unwell, or are just not sure, get him to the vet asap and have them give him a good check over, including his teeth.

Best wishes for him.

Hello,

Yes he did have a scan and they said that his teeth were in a very bad condidion but that they had managed to resolve all the problems.

He is still eating (last time he had significantly slowed down on eating) and seems in general good health. He has just been running around my living room whilst I have been working and has worked out how to leap into my Nan's chair :)

I will keep a further eye out for a couple days. I will also check that he isn't wet under his mouth as he was last time.

Hopefully it won't be anything serious but I will book him an appt if this persists.

Thank you.

If its a soft grinding, almost like a purr kind of sound then its a sign of contentment.

Loud grinding would almost certainly indicate pain, so with a history of dental probs I'd have his teeth checked asap.

My first instinct was to say teeth too. As well as dribbling there are other signs of dental pain including, throwing the head into the air when eating, eatings slower, not eating harder food, putting paw up to the mouth, losing weight. These are all things to look out for.

My dental bun (who I lost last year at the age of 9 and not through dental issies) was diagnosed at 4.5 with dental issues and needed dentals every 5-7 weeks to keep the condition under control. He was always very happy in himself and we learnt to identify when he was coming up to another dental.

Best to get him checked.

If it is his teeth again ask if the vet just removes the spur (the sharp pointy bit) or if they take the teeth right back to the gum :) he's more likely to need dentals in a short space of time if they just remove the spur :wave:

Milly was down to a week before my vet started grinding her molars down to nearly the gum line. She NEVER has a wet chin. I notice when she goes off food but also the way I describe the sound is a bit like her false teeth are uncomfortable. It's more than grinding, she actually moves her mouth side to side and up and down a bit. My vet laughs when I say about false teeth but it is like that.:shock:

It doesn't take long to check so I too would recommend a vets visit.

Back