• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding the dog n buns!!!

DSC_0672_zps833d4216.jpg

It went really well for their first meeting ,the buns were really relaxed but just a few hairy moments when jazz our staff started pouncing because she wanted to play :lol:

My dog sits like that too and he's a Staffie cross, must be a Staffie thing :lol: everyone always laughs at him, I swear he's double jointed he lies in the weirdest positions :lol: They all look gorgeous :love: and I love the still uv caught on the tele :lol: The dog looks like he's saying oi bunnies I'm tryin to watch corrie here!

my advice

do NOT let the bunnies free in the room with your dog
People do this and it is playing russian roulette with the rabbits
You do not know what your dog is thinking and if the dog does jump and land on the rabbit/s by accident there would be nothing you could do

I have dogs..and I have rabbits. I do not let the two run together

my advice

You do not know what your dog is thinking and if the dog does jump and land on the rabbit/s by accident there would be nothing you could do

I have to say I agree, my dogs have been in the garden occasionally when the rabbits have been free ranging and they'll generally be fine but I have to keep a very close eye on them and tell them to leave if they seem to be getting too close! I just don't do it now. I think the naturally prey animals lose fear as they are around the dog/other potential preditory pet all the time, and this is when you may have a problem as they get cocky and one day may do something in 'play' that the dog takes a dislike to and snaps. I used to have a pair of lovebirds (sadly had to rehome :( ) and at first let them out to fly with the dogs around, I was always there and I thought the birds will know not to fly near to the dogs... But as their confidence grew, they got very cocky and would purposefully wind the dogs up! One of them used to land on my Staffie cross dogs head!! He was always good but I could tell he was irritated by it and a couple of times the mouth did open :shock: thankfully not close enough to harm the birds but I separated them after that, just not worth the risk, although they'd still wind the dogs up by sitting where they could c them :lol:

Thankyou for the advice but i would'nt leave them unattended together,as you can see she is on a lead so i have control of the situation just incase:thumb:

my advice

This also :thumb: my first rabbit was killed when he was 6 in 2010 after the dog managed to upturn his peg because he was surprisingly strong. Please make sure jazz is always supervised and you have control over her! Hope it goes well in future and they get on well, it'll be lovely if they can happily get on next to one another :wave:

Last edited:
This topic can become argumentative with strong opinions so please try and make sure posts are made which give facts and don't attack personally.

Your dog is beautiful! Then way he/she sits :love:

my advice

But I have to agree with this.. I've seen first hand how quick a dog that was perfectly relaxed one minute can overpower its owner (it was on a lead) and attack the buns, due to even the slightest funny movement from the rabbits. It's horrible :(

Thankyou for the advice but i would'nt leave them unattended together,as you can see she is on a lead so i have control of the situation just incase:thumb:

Good idea. :) sorry, people seem not to have seen your comment. Glad they are getting on and that you are takng things slowly and supervising. It's funny how many dogs seem not to know what's a dog and what's not. They want to play with anything.

Sorry to those that have had a bad incident. :(

Last edited:
my dog lays that way too, its a terrier thing (staffies are terriers after all!) :lol:

As long as you're sensible and in control it's ok, I wouldn't let my dog near Imogen but I let her near Sebastian. She has to sit on the floor not the sofa with Sebastian though otherwise she tries to get him to play :roll:

my advice

I totally agree my dog never bothers my bunnys but would never let them out together at all after seeing what my nbrs dog did to their bunny its not worth it

This is a cute pic :love:

I'm looking after my cousins dog and I am petrified of him getting anywhere near them but I think it's nice when some dogs are ok around them :)

Back