• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making new bunnies feel at home

Charlotte1984

Young Bun
Hi, so I have just adopted two bunnies from the RSPCA and am after advice on how to settle them in.

Busby and Natasha are about 5 months old, Busby is still very nervous and tends to hide when anything even moves! Natasha is a bit more nosey and happy to see what's going on but still a little jumpy when trying to carry her around. Both have been handled but RSPCA said mainly at check up times so I need to try and break this association.

I had my last bunnies from babies, but lost Fudge about two months ago after 6 & half years. :cry: I was devastated and it took me this long to even consider adopting again but now I have I realise how easy Fudge was to look after, how used to the house, people and rough and tumble he was! Basically he thought he was people! I honestly can't remember him being this young anymore!

Any tips for helping to settle Busby and Natasha in the least stressful way for them would be greatly appreciated!! :thumb:

Usually bunnies don't like being picked up until you've got a really good bond & they trust you, even then many just tolerate it.
In fact the fastest way I've found to teach a bun to eg come up/downstairs & generally move to the room where you want them is to threaten to pick them up after giving them time to respond. - anything to avoid a pick up.

I lie/sit on the floor with mine so they can get used to me by climbing over me. They recognise you by scent. I also always use the same washing powder, & with a new arrival wear the same "bunny clothes" until it gets intolerable, so they learn who I am.

If they have their own room rather than a cage, a huge cardboard box with 3 rabbit sized entrance holes makes them feel much more secure. My boy still has his own "warren" of cardboard box leading to dressing table to carrier. He has snuffles so his sense of smell isn't very good at times & can be very nervous at the slightest sound if he can't work out that everything smells OK so there's no danger.

Back