• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flea treatments??

bunkin

Warren Veteran
If you have a bunny that is predominantly outside but comes into house for forays during the day on and off do I need to use flea treatment in the summer?? He has not contact with any other animal or garden as he free ranges in an enclosed walled area and in the two and a bit years I have had him he has never ever shown any signs of anything in his fur.He is fastidiously clean bunny ( vets words) who is litter tray trained but I suddenly wondered if I would need to use flea treatment once we get warmer weather??? He only comes into one room in the house.

No, rabbits don't usually get fleas.

Anyway, I wouldn't use flea treatments for even cats and dogs. They have chemicals and it's unnecessary. You can easily prevent fleas as well as kill an infestation of fleas very easily with DE and if it's really bad maybe a couple of other methods e.g flea combing, light traps, washing pet bedding, vacuuming,etc. Simple and chemical free :)

Thanks for that I knew rabbits could get mites but didn't know if they could get fleas as such. I did not want to use chemicals. I just had seen some spot on treatments for rabbits in pet shops so assumed it was for fleas.

My vet told me that you have to treat every 2 weeks or more for it to be effective as they are so clean and will groom it out! So I have never used it

My bunnies get fleas. Its usually cat fleas. You use Advantage-not any other. Other kinds can kill you bunny, Advantage is licensed for rabbits. You can obtain from vets. Fleas are a myxi risk too. If you've got cats, or cats walk through your garden, or you visit someone with cats your buns can VERY easily get fleas especially in the Summer. I deflea my cats-alas many don't and fleas can hop all over the place. I don't deflea my bunnies regularly, I treat if and when they have fleas. Their back end/rump is a popular flea gathering spot on bunnies I've found!

No, rabbits don't usually get fleas.

Anyway, I wouldn't use flea treatments for even cats and dogs. They have chemicals and it's unnecessary. You can easily prevent fleas as well as kill an infestation of fleas very easily with DE and if it's really bad maybe a couple of other methods e.g flea combing, light traps, washing pet bedding, vacuuming,etc. Simple and chemical free :)

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that getting rid of fleas is 'simple'. No offense but that's not my experience nor that of anyone I know.:shock:

We do not have cats or any of our neighbours and I have never seen a cat around here at all. He is unbelievably clean and even his white fur round his bum is spotless, vet was amazed at how clean he was as well.

Back