PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Sexing Help Please?!

Natty123
07-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Hello everyone!

If anyone knows anything about sexing rabbits, please could you have a look at this bunny? He/she is 4 months old so it should be relatively easy, but I would like someone to confirm. I think it may be male :?

But please, nobody tell anyone ..I don't want to get done for posting inappropriate pictures of underage rabbits :lol::lol:

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh627/NattyAR123/BabyBun_zps5e84cc2d.png

Natty123
07-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Oh and I forgot to add, we were told this was a girl at 8 weeks old :? He/she has been with 11 other girls the rest of it's life and I think it may be a boy :shock:

tonibun
07-01-2013, 05:24 PM
I think it's a boy but don't hold me to it! Have a look at Cottontails Rabbit Rescue - there are some good photos of rabbits' bits under the Sexing bit.

fruitandnutcake
07-01-2013, 05:49 PM
I'd say a boy too...but not always easy to tell.

By 4 months i would have thought he had plums too. Saying that my bridge bun Holly was supposedly a girl (sexed by vet!) ...found out he was a boy when I added him to my two girly buns:shock:

Jack's-Jane
07-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Male

Cari
07-01-2013, 05:56 PM
I'd say boy :)

Natty123
07-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Oh No! :shock: If it is a male, surely there would be babies by now? I've just worked out, he is 4 and a half months old (18weeks) He is mature at around 2 1/2 months - 3 months, so babies should have already come shouldn't they? I haven't seen any of ..uhh.. 'it' going on, so hopefully it should be fine. I wouldn't be able to keep any babies if it were to happen and the kindest thing to do would be to put them to sleep :cry:

Cari
07-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Well he doesn't have any plums if he is a boy looking at the photo suggesting that he isn't sexually mature yet? I think?

Natty123
07-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Well he doesn't have any plums if he is a boy looking at the photo suggesting that he isn't sexually mature yet? I think?

Hopefully! I can't really blame the pet shop though ..it can be really hard to get it right sometimes :?

Peterbunny
07-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Oh No! :shock: If it is a male, surely there would be babies by now? I've just worked out, he is 4 and a half months old (18weeks) He is mature at around 2 1/2 months - 3 months, so babies should have already come shouldn't they? I haven't seen any of ..uhh.. 'it' going on, so hopefully it should be fine. I wouldn't be able to keep any babies if it were to happen and the kindest thing to do would be to put them to sleep :cry:

Why would you have to put them to sleep?:(

I<3Rabbits
07-01-2013, 06:45 PM

I think what she was suggesting was she wouldn't have the time and money to have baby bunnys. But don't understand why they would need to be put to sleep:?

Santa
07-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Definitely looks boy to me - have a bit of a rummage round in the fur to either side of the 'bits' (about where the edges of the photo is) and see if you can find any plums. At 4 and a half months they should have descended by now but they do tend to be able to 'suck them up' when they want to. You may find some wrinkled bits of skin if that is the case. Or if you can't see anything there, part the fur right down to the skin and look for something that looks like large baked beans underneath the skin. If you find those, then it's definitely a boy and you're lucky that he's a late maturer so hopefully the girls won't be pregnant. Boys usually mature at around 3-4 months (12 weeks onwards) so you wouldn't necessarily expect to see babies yet if he has impregnated any of the girls.

Just based on the photo you've posted, though and even if you can't find any evidence of plums, I would definitely separate him from the girls if he is still with them now.

Natty123
07-01-2013, 07:02 PM

I know it is a horrible thing to do, but I have had so much hassle with babies in the past and have just about got it sorted (taking my bunny to his new home on Friday) so the kindest thing to do would probably be to put them down :cry: Although I wouldn't want to :cry:

Peterbunny
07-01-2013, 07:04 PM
I know it is a horrible thing to do, but I have had so much hassle with babies in the past and have just about got it sorted (taking my bunny to his new home on Friday) so the kindest thing to do would probably be to put them down :cry: Although I wouldn't want to :cry:

Would a vet really put a healthy bun down?:cry:

Natty123
07-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Definitely looks boy to me - have a bit of a rummage round in the fur to either side of the 'bits' and see if you can find any plums. At 4 and a half months they should have descended by now but they do tend to be able to 'suck them up' when they want to. You may find some wrinkled bits of skin if that is the case. Or if you can't see anything there, part the fur right down to the skin and look for something that looks like large baked beans underneath the skin. If you find those, then it's definitely a boy and you're lucky that he's a late maturer so hopefully the girls won't be pregnant. Boys usually mature at around 3-4 months (12 weeks onwards) so you wouldn't necessarily expect to see babies yet if he has impregnated any of the girls.

Just based on the photo you've posted, though and even if you can't find any evidence of plums, I would definitely separate him from the girls if he is still with them now.

Thank you for your help, I will separate them tomorrow. He hasn't been mounting them at all and isn't spraying or anything so I may just have got away with it. It could be because he is much smaller than all the others (about 1/3 of the size!) that they just won't let him?

Santa
07-01-2013, 07:07 PM
If you're worried about babies, I would suggest taking them all to the vet as soon as you can and getting the vet to look for any sign of testicles. If the vet finds them, you can chat about having the females emergency spayed - that way it resolves the potential for them to 'fall out' later on when they mature if they are also young, and if they are pregnant, it sounds as if it would be early enough to spay before any babies form. It also means that you completely eliminate the risk of a similar thing happening again in the future!

tonibun
07-01-2013, 07:08 PM
To me he looks like an immature male so no babies I would think.

honeybunny
07-01-2013, 07:30 PM
he looks male
follow advice from alison ( santa) re checking for testicles and seperate NOW not tomorrow
They can impregnate females before the testicles are very obvious so a vet check and spaying, again as Santa said, is advisable.

If you cannot cope with any babies then please do not buy any more youngsters if you are not confident with sexing. Better to get an older alrady neutered rabbit from a rescue that can guarantee the sex

natsusakura
07-01-2013, 07:33 PM
male, if you press gently on either side of the penis the balls kinda pop out a bit.
My biscuit has BIG bunny balls, I got embarressed checking him :oops:

Natty123
07-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Okay, so I am definitely going to have to separate him - maybe get him neutered. I will take him to the vet tomorrow just to check he is definitely male and see how much neutering would be.

honeybunny - he is actually an accidental breed after I went away and left my "trustworthy" friend to take care of them, not expecting her to leave the hutch lid open and let the boy free-range at the same time :evil: Oh well, what's done is done

And I doubt I will be able to get the girls spayed - there are 11 of them and I'm a bit blown after an expensive christmas :roll:

Cari
07-01-2013, 07:49 PM
If anything I'd focus on sorting the girls first for to the enormous risk of uterine cancer.

Santa
07-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Do all the girls live together now? How old are they all?

I would advise separating the boy now (there's always a chance that tonight is the night that he gets them pregnant - it has to happen sometime) getting the boy neutered ASAP, then after several weeks (just to be on the safe side) you may be able to introduce him back to the girls so that he doesn't have to live on his own. If you get the boy neutered now and you know he's the only boy, then it eliminates the risk of him escaping/someone letting him out with the girls etc, and the sooner he is done, the sooner he can live back with some company. You're probably looking at somewhere between 40-80 for a male to be neutered.

I would also advise starting to save up to get the girls neutered even if you can't afford to do it in one go. For one thing, it 100% eliminates the risk of this ever happening again with any other bunny, and it also eliminates the risk of them getting cancer which is very common in females.

Good luck x

HoneyBunnies99
08-08-2014, 04:22 PM
I know this question was asked about two years ago and you probably have already figured it out by now but I wanted to add this to the discussion for future owners of pet rabbits trying to figure out what sex their rabbit was. I recently got my first bunny about a month ago and in the place where I got the rabbit they told me it was a boy but I looked in the internet and it didn't seem quite right so we took the bunny with veterinarian that specializes in bunnies and he told us it was a girl. By the image you posted it looks like your rabbit is a girl. All rabbits kinda look the same dow there. They both have a protuberance. The difference is that one is forward out with a tiny hole and the other has a slit. On the image you posted, you can appreciate a tiny slit that goes through the end. I don't know if you can see it. I recommend that you take a look at this webpage: http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/sexing-rabbits.html
It helped me tons to visually understand the difference specially the part where they examine the males penises.
Hope it helped! :)

georgiaanna
09-08-2014, 12:08 AM
Sexing rabbits is a nightmare isn't it

honeybunny
09-08-2014, 02:18 AM
I know this question was asked about two years ago and you probably have already figured it out by now but I wanted to add this to the discussion for future owners of pet rabbits trying to figure out what sex their rabbit was. I recently got my first bunny about a month ago and in the place where I got the rabbit they told me it was a boy but I looked in the internet and it didn't seem quite right so we took the bunny with veterinarian that specializes in bunnies and he told us it was a girl. By the image you posted it looks like your rabbit is a girl. All rabbits kinda look the same dow there. They both have a protuberance. The difference is that one is forward out with a tiny hole and the other has a slit. On the image you posted, you can appreciate a tiny slit that goes through the end. I don't know if you can see it. I recommend that you take a look at this webpage: http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/sexing-rabbits.html
It helped me tons to visually understand the difference specially the part where they examine the males penises.
Hope it helped! :)

the image posted looks like a male, definitely a penis , rounded end tube like ..not a humped slit?

Santa
09-08-2014, 08:55 AM
By the image you posted it looks like your rabbit is a girl. All rabbits kinda look the same dow there. They both have a protuberance. The difference is that one is forward out with a tiny hole and the other has a slit. On the image you posted, you can appreciate a tiny slit that goes through the end.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on your sexing, but that photo above is definitely, 100% a boy I'm afraid! The 'tiny slit' you can see is just a little crease in the skin, and it's heading the wrong way (towards the belly) to be female - the slit in a female is far more obvious than the thing you're seeing in the photo above and slits down towards the anus not up towards the belly. I have to say I don't think some of the photos on that weblink are all that helpful (especially not if you thought the above photo was a girl), the male photos are all of a mature male which is far easier to see, and could lead to this sort of error.

I would keep checking your little one as it may be that their gender becomes more obvious for certain as they get a little older :-)

tulsi
09-08-2014, 11:54 AM
The pet shop I got Frosty and Snowflake from thought they were both does (they are bucks). The vet thought they were one of each ... Not an easy thing to sex them.

It was waaay easier with all the rescue rabbits that I have got since. All neutered/spayed and bonded. Yey.