• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Sexing Help Please?!

Natty123

Warren Scout
Hello everyone!

If anyone knows anything about sexing rabbits, please could you have a look at this bunny? He/she is 4 months old so it should be relatively easy, but I would like someone to confirm. I think it may be male :?

But please, nobody tell anyone ..I don't want to get done for posting inappropriate pictures of underage rabbits :lol::lol:

BabyBun_zps5e84cc2d.png

Oh and I forgot to add, we were told this was a girl at 8 weeks old :? He/she has been with 11 other girls the rest of it's life and I think it may be a boy :shock:

I think it's a boy but don't hold me to it! Have a look at Cottontails Rabbit Rescue - there are some good photos of rabbits' bits under the Sexing bit.

I'd say a boy too...but not always easy to tell.

By 4 months i would have thought he had plums too. Saying that my bridge bun Holly was supposedly a girl (sexed by vet!) ...found out he was a boy when I added him to my two girly buns:shock:

Oh No! :shock: If it is a male, surely there would be babies by now? I've just worked out, he is 4 and a half months old (18weeks) He is mature at around 2 1/2 months - 3 months, so babies should have already come shouldn't they? I haven't seen any of ..uhh.. 'it' going on, so hopefully it should be fine. I wouldn't be able to keep any babies if it were to happen and the kindest thing to do would be to put them to sleep :cry:

Well he doesn't have any plums if he is a boy looking at the photo suggesting that he isn't sexually mature yet? I think?

Well he doesn't have any plums if he is a boy looking at the photo suggesting that he isn't sexually mature yet? I think?

Hopefully! I can't really blame the pet shop though ..it can be really hard to get it right sometimes :?

Oh No! :shock: If it is a male, surely there would be babies by now? I've just worked out, he is 4 and a half months old (18weeks) He is mature at around 2 1/2 months - 3 months, so babies should have already come shouldn't they? I haven't seen any of ..uhh.. 'it' going on, so hopefully it should be fine. I wouldn't be able to keep any babies if it were to happen and the kindest thing to do would be to put them to sleep :cry:

Why would you have to put them to sleep?:(

Definitely looks boy to me - have a bit of a rummage round in the fur to either side of the 'bits' (about where the edges of the photo is) and see if you can find any plums. At 4 and a half months they should have descended by now but they do tend to be able to 'suck them up' when they want to. You may find some wrinkled bits of skin if that is the case. Or if you can't see anything there, part the fur right down to the skin and look for something that looks like large baked beans underneath the skin. If you find those, then it's definitely a boy and you're lucky that he's a late maturer so hopefully the girls won't be pregnant. Boys usually mature at around 3-4 months (12 weeks onwards) so you wouldn't necessarily expect to see babies yet if he has impregnated any of the girls.

Just based on the photo you've posted, though and even if you can't find any evidence of plums, I would definitely separate him from the girls if he is still with them now.

Last edited:
Why would you have to put them to sleep?:(

I know it is a horrible thing to do, but I have had so much hassle with babies in the past and have just about got it sorted (taking my bunny to his new home on Friday) so the kindest thing to do would probably be to put them down :cry: Although I wouldn't want to :cry:

I know it is a horrible thing to do, but I have had so much hassle with babies in the past and have just about got it sorted (taking my bunny to his new home on Friday) so the kindest thing to do would probably be to put them down :cry: Although I wouldn't want to :cry:

Would a vet really put a healthy bun down?:cry:

Definitely looks boy to me - have a bit of a rummage round in the fur to either side of the 'bits' and see if you can find any plums. At 4 and a half months they should have descended by now but they do tend to be able to 'suck them up' when they want to. You may find some wrinkled bits of skin if that is the case. Or if you can't see anything there, part the fur right down to the skin and look for something that looks like large baked beans underneath the skin. If you find those, then it's definitely a boy and you're lucky that he's a late maturer so hopefully the girls won't be pregnant. Boys usually mature at around 3-4 months (12 weeks onwards) so you wouldn't necessarily expect to see babies yet if he has impregnated any of the girls.

Just based on the photo you've posted, though and even if you can't find any evidence of plums, I would definitely separate him from the girls if he is still with them now.

Thank you for your help, I will separate them tomorrow. He hasn't been mounting them at all and isn't spraying or anything so I may just have got away with it. It could be because he is much smaller than all the others (about 1/3 of the size!) that they just won't let him?

If you're worried about babies, I would suggest taking them all to the vet as soon as you can and getting the vet to look for any sign of testicles. If the vet finds them, you can chat about having the females emergency spayed - that way it resolves the potential for them to 'fall out' later on when they mature if they are also young, and if they are pregnant, it sounds as if it would be early enough to spay before any babies form. It also means that you completely eliminate the risk of a similar thing happening again in the future!

Last edited:
he looks male
follow advice from alison ( santa) re checking for testicles and seperate NOW not tomorrow
They can impregnate females before the testicles are very obvious so a vet check and spaying, again as Santa said, is advisable.

If you cannot cope with any babies then please do not buy any more youngsters if you are not confident with sexing. Better to get an older alrady neutered rabbit from a rescue that can guarantee the sex

male, if you press gently on either side of the penis the balls kinda pop out a bit.
My biscuit has BIG bunny balls, I got embarressed checking him :oops:

Okay, so I am definitely going to have to separate him - maybe get him neutered. I will take him to the vet tomorrow just to check he is definitely male and see how much neutering would be.

honeybunny - he is actually an accidental breed after I went away and left my "trustworthy" friend to take care of them, not expecting her to leave the hutch lid open and let the boy free-range at the same time :evil: Oh well, what's done is done

And I doubt I will be able to get the girls spayed - there are 11 of them and I'm a bit blown after an expensive christmas :roll:

Back