• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Curtain disaster.

luna

Mama Doe
Hi,

I just wanted to share my story about what happened to my poor little bunny Bobby this morning. He was free ranging around the house as normal and I went upstairs to get my son up. I must have been gone about half an hour but when i came down he wasnt waiting at the bottom of the stairs like he normally does so I went to see what he was up to. He was in his favourite spot in the living room which is at the window where he likes to look out. But what I noticed straight away was the curtain was pulled right over to the middle. I thought he was playing with it, which he does sometimes. He nibbles the edges abit but has never done any real damage. Anyway, when i went to pull the curtain back I quickly realized that he was caught in the curtain. It was wrapped around his neck:shock: Straight away i ran to get scissors and had to hack off the corner of the curtain to see what was going on with his neck and how to get it off. I was shaking at this stage because he was in obvious distress and was biting furiously at the curtain himself. once i had the length of curtain removed i got a clearer picture of what was going on and cut the part that was wrapped around his neck.

The poor guy just lay straight out with his little heart pounding and i stayed with him and reassured him etc and within a minute he was hopping around and nibbling on things again. I think it took me longer to calm down. I now know what he had done to get himself stuck in the curtain after examining the bit that i cut off. he had been bitten a hole in the curtain and managed somehow to stick his head through and then couldnt get out and he must have wrapped it around him further with all the struggling.

I just wanted to share my story as a warning i guess , for how easily accidents can happen around the house and especially with curtains. im so lucky that i was in the house when it happened and even more lucky that Bobby didnt fall off the window sill and hang himself. I would never have forgiven myself. luckily most of the window area is covered by our couch but if he had got to the end and fallen off with the curtain wrapped around his neck things could have been different. Tonight he will be getting extra veg and treats and plenty of pets up on the couch. And they say cats have 9 lives ;)

Glad you got to him in time. I would just keep an eye on him and make sure he is eating and pooing OK, as some buns can react to shock by not eating and going into stasis ( My Pebbles did after getting gaffa tape stuck to his fur). Hopefully your little bun will be fine..especially if he is hopping & nibbling as usual.

Oh my! How scary. I remember reading somewhere else about a curtain mishap and a rabbit. I am not sure if it was this forum or not but think that it was. I don't think that it was this bad though. Sounds like if you didn't find him and react so fast with a clear head that the results might of been disastrous.
Julie use to always play hide and seek behind the curtains. I started tying the curtains up if she was going to be in the room alone with curtains. Thank you for sharing. You really could be saving a life.

Not a great start for your day and your Bun! Get yer heart pounding though, blimey. Glad the little fluffy one is ok and you have recovered!

Back