• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits care for...

I<3Rabbits

Mama Doe
... Their owners.
Sometimes I think If I wasn't here would they really care and miss me.
What do you think?

we went away for 4 days in june, and our landlady came in and fed them / locked them up every night and i was worried they'd forget us....but when we got back, and seen me, they both got superexcited, and i sat on the door step, and rupes jumped on my knee and stood up, staring into my eyes, as if he was saying 'where have you been you left us here!' or 'you are my mummy aren't you, you came back' ) it was lovely, so nice to know they did recognise us.

they definitely know when we're sad and if we're play fighting, rupert nudges john to get off me, and if john gives me a cuddle (or touches me at all actually) rupert pushes him off me or gets between us :lol:

I just brought Harvey in to weigh him, and plonked him on the landing (where he's not really been before) and me and my house mates were sat on the floor, he was cautiously intrigued by them (he has met them before, but spend very little time with them) but kept coming and climbing on me to lick me and snuggle with me cause he feels safest with me. Lilly did this yesterday at her weigh-in too!

They also both do this at the vets! Although Harvey quite likes my vet.... he squealed at her whilst she tried to look at his teeth, she stopped, he sat up and washed, and then as she was trying to look over Lilly he went up climbed on her lap and washed her :roll: he's a little flirt :roll: apart from me (and apparently the vet) he doesn't use anyone else for comfort.

When I go on holiday however, they do treat me mean when I get back :( they have a way they act around strangers which after the holiday they still treat strangers the same, and then with me, rather than like usual treating me with love and affection or even treating me like a stranger (as I assume they would if they'd forgotten me) they are ANGRY, they sniff me, walk a few steps away, turn their backs and STOMP!! :shock: it takes a couple of them days to make them realise I'm not leaving again and they start showing me some love again :roll: it's almost as if they're saying "I HATE YOU! WHY DID YOU LEAVE US?!?!", they don't act like this to any strangers! Even if the strangers smell of other animals!!

This is quite similar to my thread about if they know they are home.

I hope they don't miss us as Doughnut has had a few hospital stays so I don't like the thought of her sitting there missing me. Nothing affects her appetite though. She is stamping at the nurses when they clean her hutch and she never does that to me. She always supervises, so she's not as friendly to them as she is to me. They said she's fine if they sit with her and she comes over because she's nosy. I like to think she cares about me but isn't wondering where I am when she's had to be admitted.

I thought they did..but I think it's just because they associate me with food!...I've never been away from them long enough to know if they miss me!

Though they do know I'm their mummy when they are at the vet...even my Chloe (who has always run away from me till recently) will cling to me and snuggle up to me.

Im sure mine do.
When i am away working my partner rings me and says they are a nightmare.
Tipping bowls over,nipping her etc.
Get excited when i return and want cuddles and fuss and a few times have had little squeaking
noises.
And of course they know they get treats from me.
Can smell banana at a long distance.

I'm certain they do. They have an incredible capacity to love as we know and we provide them with food yes, but also safety and protection. I have no doubt mine love me though probably not as much as I love them!:love:

mine sulk if I go away and leave my parents in charge (nothing changes except for who feeds them!) I think they appreciate me at least

yes they do , when i was away for only a week seeing my sister, mum, dad lookng after mabel only had her at time, and mabel pinned for me soo much she lost soo much weight became very aneamic and developed heart murmur, when i got home i knew she had lost weight as soon as saw her, next morning rushed her to vets where she was admitted and put on drip feed to fill her up
next day i asked to bring her home and gave her iron rich foods and she became better again, then when got sox, she became even more better in herself

when i was younger and first had rosie and mowgli, nan looked after them, and they where out in run, i came round back gate to surprise them, and rosie was jumping like mad, so picked her up then after bt went to get mowgli, but as soon as he wanted cuddles she pushed him away as she was mummys girl and had missed me soo much :lol:

Hello :wave:
I am told my two do when I do a late shift my husband say they seem more subdued and look at the door and once I get it they come straight to me for a fuss. If I am on a sleep and don't come home til the next day, they always seem really seemed to please to see me :)

I've only had my two about 3 months if that, but I think they definitely do. When I go see my Dad for the weekend, they start being proper little divas with my boyfriend, then when I come home they jump up on me straight away. :love:

Back