• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits know when they're "home"

cpayne

Warren Veteran
With Doughnut being kept for observations three times at different vets, I just wondered if when she comes home she sort of knows this is where she belongs! I know she will remember me but I guess she will realise it's all familiar and hopefully know this is where she "lives".

I know rabbits are intelligent but it's difficult to know what they know and what they don't know. She certainly knows not to go anywhere near the carrier!

I'd be surprised if they didn't. These little ******* are smart. Visiting the vet and Watson and Moses will both snuggle away in my arms. As if they know they are safe with me. :love:

Oh that is cute, they wanted their mummy.

Doughnut is apparently stamping her foot at the nurses when they go "into her territory". At home she has never stamped her foot at me, I arrange her hutch when she's in there and she just supervises and jumps on the dustpan to eat the stuff I've swept out as if I'm taking the best stuff away!

I hope she's not intelligent enough to wonder why I've left her there. Breaks my heart to think she is wondering where I am. I know cats and dogs pine for their owners but I don't think rabbits do.

Harvey has lived at my parents' house for a total of 3 months (not in a row) and then a couple of weekends when I've visited. As soon as I plonk him in the living room he knows where he is, remembers all the hidey-holes, gets very excited, climbs all over the sofa and is very comfortable and happy enough to binky and flop :D he definitely remembers the room even though he hasn't lived there for over a year! Especially when you compare to how he is in new, unfamiliar rooms he's always periscoping on the spot, on edge and sticks to me because he's too nervous to go explore, takes him a while to feel comfortable enough to explore and even then it's very cautiously to begin with!

Wow that's really interesting. He obviously feels more at home there and remembers it.

Yeh, I think they definitely know when they're home, mine always 'double check' after vet visits :lol:

also, they know us (i konw we all know this deep down but i was worried that it wasn't 'us' they knew, just anyone who fed them etc) - we went away for 4 days in june, and our landlady came in and fed them / locked them up every night and i was worried they'd forget us....but when we got back, and seen me, they both got superexcited, and i sat on the door step, and rupes jumped on my knee and stood up, staring into my eyes, as if he was saying 'where have you been you left us here!' or 'you are my mummy aren't you, you came back' ) it was lovely, so nice to know they did recognise us.

They know the layout of the house and garden too, they're so clever

I know she knows me. I just hope she isn't thinking I've left her again and not coming back. Since she's had so many vets visits and overnight stays in different places she probably wonders what I'm playing at! I'm over excited about getting her back tomorrow evening since she's been gone since Friday. Hopefully by next week she may have forgotten about it all.

Definately when we come back from visiting boyfs parents, we get through the door and Bun is instantly more relaxed and goes to all his places straight away!He also hates visitors!

Definitely! My rabbits even know where their actual home is :D If I put them at the front of the house on the grass, they always try to get back to their cage at the back :love:

absolutely :D Sebastian recognised the dog crate immediately yesterday but Imogen had no clue at all where she was (doesn't help that she has poor vision) and seemed very disorientated. I have no doubt what so ever that when they go back outside they'll know exactly where they are :thumb:

Yes, Poppy has lived in several homes and always knows where to go.

When at my parents I could put her at the bottom of the stairs and she would run up two flights to 'her room'.

I now live in a flat and if we get back from the vets and I don't open her bedroom door straight away she will dig at the door.

My ex once looked after her when I went on holiday, he lived in our old flat where Poppy spent a year when we lived together, she hadn't been there for about 9 months (at least) but when I let her out the carrier she ran straight up the hallway and under the futon in the lounge which was her favourite spot when she lived there-she didn't even hesitate, she knew exactly where she was.

Yes, Poppy has lived in several homes and always knows where to go.

When at my parents I could put her at the bottom of the stairs and she would run up two flights to 'her room'.

I now live in a flat and if we get back from the vets and I don't open her bedroom door straight away she will dig at the door.

My ex once looked after her when I went on holiday, he lived in our old flat where Poppy spent a year when we lived together, she hadn't been there for about 9 months (at least) but when I let her out the carrier she ran straight up the hallway and under the futon in the lounge which was her favourite spot when she lived there-she didn't even hesitate, she knew exactly where she was.

wow just shows how good their memories are as well.

I'm getting my baby home today, so excited. Hopefully she won't be sulking!

Back