• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

castration questions

bunny-boo

Warren Scout
Reuben is booked in for Thursday and I am worried already...should he come home on painkillers or antibiotics? how long before he recovers? thanks.

I'd expect him to have had an injection of painkiller before he comes home, this tends to last about 24hrs. Males most of the time don't need follow up pain meds so don't be surprised if you don't get any :) I didn't get any antibiotics when Sebastian was neutered, again I don't think its routine to send an animal home with them unless there is infection present :) you can ofcourse go back to the vets if you feel he needs them :thumb:

Most males seem to never realise that they have had an operation :lol: Sebastian was his normal self when I collected him!

Id say he should be prescribed pain killers, don't think he'd need anti bs unless at the post op check they are unhappy with the healing.
Vibes for it all to go smoothly and stress free xxxx

ooops think i just reported my post instead of replying.... damn phone...
is 6 months an ok age to snip a giant ?

Leo was neutered in November and he was 11 months, he was fine when he came home I could just tell he was a bit uncomfortable when trying to lie down.

He stayed over night and didn't need any anti biotics when he came back. He had two check ups after the op and was fine :wave:

When my boys were done they just had a 24 hour painkiller.

They were a bit doppy to start with and feeling sorry for themselves for a day or so then back to normal.

Stephen had an antibiotic injection before his operation and a pain killing injection afterwards. He was a sulky boy when he got home but was absolutely fine. :) didn't need any meds at home.

Back