• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

More help needed please....

nufcem

New Kit
Following on from my previous post…. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?373643-Need-some-advice-please&p=5705508#post5705508

Harry and Oscar are now both indoor rabbits - I am keeping them seperate for a few days tho with regards to sleeping arrangements as Harry is still very wobbly on his back feet and Oscar isn't very careful and does knock into him. I am hoping to give Oscar and Harry some playtime together tomorrow.

I have noticed that Oscar's breathing is quite loud.... well I think it's his breathing! He is well in himself and looks healthy - he is eating, peeing and pooping since being in his new indoor hutch. I wondered if anyone has any advice / suggestions what it could be? It is a low deep grunting noise. He also makes this noise when he is eating. I picked him up and cuddled him :)love:) to see if I could work out the location of the sound and he stopped grumbling for a few minutes and then carried on again!

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

Emma

It sounds as though he may have a secondary bacterial respiratory tract infection. This would require antibiotics. Personally I would want to get the Vet to review him today

Sometimes being in a centrally heated environment can exacerbate respiratory tract problems as the atmosphere can be very dry. So not having the room too hot and using a humidifier may be helpful to him.

It sounds as though he may have a secondary bacterial respiratory tract infection. This would require antibiotics. Personally I would want to get the Vet to review him today

Sometimes being in a centrally heated environment can exacerbate respiratory tract problems as the atmosphere can be very dry. So not having the room too hot and using a humidifier may be helpful to him.

I agree with Jane, could be an upper respiratory infection, so I would get him to a vets so they can listen to his chest and sort out the necessary treatments

He seems better today, I wonder if it's a behavioural grunt rather than an illness grunt. I am going to take him to the vet for a checkup anyway early next week or before if necessary.

Many thanks for your advice.

Emma :D

Back