• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WARNING to all who use IKEA bag holders for hay!

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Please Please make sure that your rabbits cannot access the open end! I've just found Imogen inside of the hay rack and while I was freeing her she tried to put her head through the long gaps. I have now removed the rack and will be meshing it, Imogen is fine.

254597_10151627480950558_2066183612_n.jpg

Oh goodness me, how scary. We have used them in the past but not currently but were thinking of getting one for Buttercup!

Omg good job you saw her and she's not an outside bunny

they are normally outdoor rabbits and do use this outside but the gap between the end and the shed wall is only about an inch so not big enough to fit though.

As long as the end is meshed or close enough to the wall they're fine to use but I've seen lots of people use them but leave the end exposed :( very glad I went in and checked on them before bed!

I use them, but they are on their sides and the open end is tight to the hutch door, easy to refill, hard for buns to access,
One of my dutches pulls hers down and climbs in, but shes small enough to get back out.

Thanks for the warning though

I use them, but they are on their sides and the open end is tight to the hutch door, easy to refill, hard for buns to access,
One of my dutches pulls hers down and climbs in, but shes small enough to get back out.

Thanks for the warning though

If Sebastian had got inside he'd have been able to get out, but Imogen isn't the brightest spark! Any bigger and I think she'd have been wedged inside it so definatly something to consider for people who have larger rabbits than I do!

Oh no.. I was actually going to go get some of those tomorrow for my buns and would never have thought about them getting stuck in the end! :shock:

Thanks for warning and I'm glad Imogen is ok!

Just have to add that they're both gorgeous! :love:

All mine have got in or half got in at some point. It did worry me a little so tried to keep it stuffed with hay. I don't use them any more as my three seem to prefer to forage around in it and oddly Smudge eats less hay with it there than without it.

:shock::shock:
Thanks for the warning , will definetly be having the open ends up to the shed from now on will do that in the morning , glad imogen is okay though , I could imagine my Lily doing this :shock: :thumb:

Despite the open end being a couple of inches away from a wall Nutmeg did this a couple of nights ago. Fortunately she didn't panic or I think she would've hurt herself. She started to try to get out through the 'slot' shaped holes but I pushed her back because I could see her getting stuck there, then she started to come out backwards. I'm just glad I was awake at the time as it was about half 1 in the morning!

Said rack has now been banished for the time being. I can't move it over any further so I'm either going to get Dad to make me something wooden to hold extra hay or get him to make some sort of end from the other rack I have.

I turned mine around the other day (much to the rabbits annoyance!) because Donny decided to stick his head in after pulling some hay out.. He came back out but I remembered this thread so have it so the blocked off bit is facing the shed. I've asked my dad to make me a flappy door so the hay stays in instead of falling out of the mesh gate on the shed door.

This was one of Emerson's favourite tricks right after I bought them one. He used to sit inside it and eat hay and then back out. I was never worried about him getting stuck, but he's not very big. However, in the most recent change of their setup the hay rack has moved, so he can't get into it any longer. Much to his disappointment!

Definitely something to keep in mind if you have buns that might get into trouble!

naughty bunnies! :lol: Imogen is a panicy rabbit so got stuck and couldn't wriggle free when she ended up in there

Yeah this is Nutmeg too. Possibly if I'd left her she might've got out on her own ok but I wasn't going to take the chance!

Back