• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

giant house rabbit

If you have time, space, energy - go for it. :D I have a giant continental and he is my dream bun *swoon* I would also advise (like any breed) to research thoroughly, as giants come with possible health issues, for example, as they get older, they may find reaching themselves to clean difficult, so may need extra care keeping their bottom clean and you have to watch over-feeding etc. Plus, they only live for around 5 years :( but their temperaments are gorgeous. Mine is more like a kitten/pup. He follows me around, eats from my hand, toilet trained himself, jumps up on the sofa to snuggle etc. :lol: :love:
I would also think about your home and how you would bunny-proof it... They are very inquisitive by nature... :shock:

If you have time, space, energy - go for it. :D I have a giant continental and he is my dream bun *swoon* I would also advise (like any breed) to research thoroughly, as giants come with possible health issues, for example, as they get older, they may find reaching themselves to clean difficult, so may need extra care keeping their bottom clean and you have to watch over-feeding etc. Plus, they only live for around 5 years :( but their temperaments are gorgeous. Mine is more like a kitten/pup. He follows me around, eats from my hand, toilet trained himself, jumps up on the sofa to snuggle etc. :lol: :love:
I would also think about your home and how you would bunny-proof it... They are very inquisitive by nature... :shock:

My friend had 2 ggiant house rabbits n they lived till 4.....
Just a couple of questions...were abouts on the house does it sleep?
Do u have a cage or a run etc....
Wa do I need to buy for it
Can it go outside thanks

If they are indoors bunnys usually have their own room or share the house with their hoomans

:lol: i don't know any personally, so i couldn't effect an introduction! :lol:

apart from that, i'm afraid i wouldn't have one given. i've been bitten by my large-ish mini lop, and bear the scars. i recall that when i got my buns, i was warned of the damage they can do and told of a woman hospitalised by a french lop who decided to bite her face and ripped a significant area around her mouth. also, having coped with the wee and poo of four mini lops, i don't want to clear up after anything bigger!

Can it go outside thanks

Mine aren't giants but they sleep on the lounge floor most days, flopped out next to each other :)

They have an indoor cage, but no run as they free range full time. You can have a look at different indoor housing ideas on one of the pinned threads. :)

You need (as a basic) a cage, or a base where they can poop and eat, water bowl and bottle, care fresh or something else absorbant for the bottom of the cage, hay, pellets, toys to keep your bunnies entertained, pet insurance, and an acceptance that your house may be completely ruined. You need to bunny proof EVERYTHING. I cannot leave anything chewable or edible on any surface on the entire of the downstairs of my house as Nora is currently sitting on the dining table, and they will chew everything, you need to be able to bunny proof all your wires too.

My two can go outside when I do if they want, but Stephen isn't fussed at all and it's currently too cold to let them out anyway as they aren't used to outdoor temperatures.

It is hard work having indoor rabbits, not going to lie, they'll get into everything, chew paper, letters, boxes, food, furniture, carpets etc and they do make a mess no matter how well litter trained they are, but, they are wonderful, so much fun to watch and interact with, and I love my two to bits.

Can it go outside thanks

Reggie sleeps in the kitchen at the mo, he has free range of kitchen during the day (we use a gate to keep him in) but as soon as my lads are tucked up in bed, he has free range of downstairs! I plan on letting him out in garden in the warmer seasons when we can leave the back door open to our enclosed grden, so he can hop in and out when he pleases.

Some people use an extra large dog crate that bun can jump in and out of, others just use a dog bed for their sleep area- I think you can purchase an extra large hutch/cage set up for house rabbits but I've not explored that option...
I think the key is, to provide the bun with a place where bunny can retreat away from the home buzz, a place where they do their business (reggie has an old cage bottom filled with rabbit safe toileting bedding and shavings, it's a lot deeper than litter trays) and plenty to do, so things to chew on (wooden blocks, homemade toys, safe to chew branches like apple tree branches/free from pesticides etc) and plenty of hay to graze on etc... Reggie prefers to sleep on one of our "donated" bath towels... :lol:
As with all buns, they must always have access to clean, fresh water; in the summer, I use additional water bowls as rabbits can drink quicker from these and it reduces the risk of dehydration.:p

This website might give you a better heads up: http://www.rabbit.org/ check it out, it will prob give more informative advice if you decide to go ahead.xx

If you decide to house outside, make sure it's a hutch designed to house giant buns, though a Wendy house or shed is best, they need plenty of room ;) - there is lots of info on the RU about housing ideas too.:D
Hope it helps xx

The threads mentioned are in my signature under my post.

Indoor rabbits are wonderful but you sometimes have to have patience with them (especially when they wee on your bed :roll:). For a giant you would need to have at least one room for them, if I had a giant I would prefer for them to have two to three rooms personally. My trio of three small bunnies currently have two rooms for the majority of the time and will soon have three.

Back