• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

lion head bunnies need trimming?

Diesel0106132jpeg_zps875ab8a4.png

I was told by a local bunny "pro" that I should probably trim my bunny so he can see better. So I did, but of course couldn't get around his whiskers so they went too. He was very good about sitting still so it wasn't difficult. This is a recent photo of him. I just wanted to know if this is a normal thing to do for lion heads and is there a way to keep his whiskers?

Trimming whiskers???? NO WAY!
Lion heads don't need trimming at all.
No bunny needs trimming, unless you get a neglected angora or such!:(

It doesn't seem to bother Smudge :lol:

I don't trim my two at all. They probably use those whiskers and their sense of smell and memory to navigate more than their eyes anyway. :)

The only time I trim is when they get matts. I have considered trimming Smudge's fur in summer as he hates being brushed but so far haven't really needed to.

I often cut the very back of Fraggle's main as it gets knotty as she can't reach it but the rest stays knot-free so I don't bother. If you are unsure maybe next time ask your vet to help. Mine shaved the back of Fraggle's head for me once as the fur was so close to the skin I could not risk doing it myself.

the only bit I've trimmed is around her mouth as it gets wet, I used baby nail scissors and held each whisker out of the way as I trimmed :)

Not sure how Harley can see with all her hair but wouldn't trim it apart from cutting out any matted hair. I will probably trim her around her bottom in summer just to be safe.

I trim angels mane when it gets too long.
I asked my vet about accidentally cutting the whiskers as last time i was over ambitious in my hairdressing attempts.
She said not to worry, and to be fair I usually manage to move them out the way.
Just usually trim around her chops and skirt that she always seems to have.

ava-1.jpg

This one needs trimming around his eyes, because he has an eye problem but I never trim anything else, comb him twice a week.

My lionhead is double maned and very fluffy. I do trim him, but only around the eyes as it is so long he can't see and the fur irritates his eyes. I wouldn't go anywhere near his whiskers though.

Back