• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Losing sense of smell?

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
Can rabbits lose their sense of smell as they age? Molly will be 8 this year and I've noticed him slowing down over the past year. The past couple of months however I've noticed when I give them something he doesn't seem to notice as he did before. For example I just took them a baby carrot each. faline grabbed hers from my hand (i always feed treats rom my hand to make sure they both get a fair share) and Molly knew she had something so tried to go after her, even though his was in my hand right in front of his face. I have to put whatever it is right under his mouth before he notices it, but he knows my hand is there because when he decided I didn't have anything for him he put his head down for a nose rub.

i have to kind of direct him to the pellet bowl too and when I put hay in a different place yesterday he seemed to struggle finding it's exact location. I don't think it's his vision. He can see where to go generally, and he's not scanning at all, but it's when he's right on top of something in the rabbit blind spot I guess that he seems to lose where it is, so that's why I'm wondering if it's his sense of smell?

Not sure, but I may be losing my vision somewhat - read the title of this thread as "losing sense of self"..... :shock: :oops::oops:

Back