• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I Hate the vets.

sun_city_girl

Warren Veteran
I really hate our local vets, so following on from my worried thread in health the vets called back - they were disinterested and rubbish as usual.
No advice really - explained he was barely pooing and only eating small amounts of hay, and a bit of parsley.
the advice was he will probably be okay until tomorrow.bye.

apparently the cost of him being seen out of hours is examination fee plus £100.

I dont even have any metacam I could give him. I dont really know much about what else to do with him....

Im just so fed up of having rubbish vets around here...Im never going to get a rabbit again living around here :(

pineapple juice, infacol. get him running about - chase him around the house. i do this with matthew a lot when he's not eating. you feel bad until they start to poo then you're glad you knew about it.

you can spoon feed mashed up pellets in a little water if you don't have a syringe handy. i can never get enough food into my bunnies that way, though. do you have any treats on one side for emergencies? things he doesn't usually have? or a piece of apple or banana.

can you get him to drink? a bowl of water as well, if he usually has a bottle.

Last edited:
pineapple juice, infacol. get him running about - chase him around the house. i do this with matthew a lot when he's not eating. you feel bad until they start to poo then you're glad you knew about it.

you can spoon feed mashed up pellets in a little water if you don't have a syringe handy. i can never get enough food into my bunnies that way, though. do you have any treats on one side for emergencies? things he doesn't usually have? or a piece of apple or banana.

can you get him to drink? a bowl of water as well, if he usually has a bottle.

Thanks for this
I dont have infacol although have read you can break open a simethicone gel capsule and give them the contents!?(which I do have)
He was running about earlier and he did some poos then all very tiny though - I will get him moving again.
I will try some mashed up pellets in a syringe and some banana if still no luck. I was hoping the munching on hay would help.

where are you? Have you asked here for reccomendations? I really hope you can get your little one eating again xx

where are you? Have you asked here for reccomendations? I really hope you can get your little one eating again xx

Ive asked for recommendations before - I know where the good rabbit vets are - Ive heard Bristol and Swindon which are about 45minutes and 1 hour away, maybe I could just call one of the practices for advice?is that possible?

Ive annoyed Bun now trying to syringe him some water, I tried to get him moving about but he doesnt seem too interested I even opened the back door and he wasnt interested - usually he runs straight out.
I have that critical care stuff so maybe I could syringe him some of that...

worth ringing to ask advice yep, not sure if there is anything else they can suggest on top of what you're already doing :(

Thanks, I just feel so helpless and annoyed!!

I would consider making the journey to Swindon or Bristol if you are 'getting nowhere' with your current vet.

I'm not sure that they would give you telephone advice if you are already registered with another vet - but may accept a referral (for 2nd opinion/advice) from your vet.

Worth ringing, anyway.

Syringe a little pineapple juice and you can make your own recovery food by soaking pelleted and blending them. I would syringe little and often and leave lots of tasty food around. Greens, herbs, banana. Good luck!

I would consider making the journey to Swindon or Bristol if you are 'getting nowhere' with your current vet.

I'm not sure that they would give you telephone advice if you are already registered with another vet - but may accept a referral (for 2nd opinion/advice) from your vet.

Worth ringing, anyway.

He is sat looking miserable and crunching his teeth, am going to call the vet back for some metacam for him at least.....why wont anywhere do anything on a sunday!?

Syringe a little pineapple juice and you can make your own recovery food by soaking pelleted and blending them. I would syringe little and often and leave lots of tasty food around. Greens, herbs, banana. Good luck!

We dont have pineapple juice, boyfriend went to the co-op and they didnt have any or any pineapple, he has ignored the banana and parsley - he ate some hay and parsley this morning and thats when he did some small poos he just seems to be getting worse :(

He got peeved that I was trying to syringe him some pellets mashed with apply juice. I left him to it and boyf came in to say he is munching hay. I just wish he would poo some more.

can you get to a supermarket?

my boyfriend went to co-op in town which was the only one open after 4 and they didnt have any, I would have got it earlier from asda or sainsburys if I had known it would help.
I have wind-eze capsules filled with simethicone gel, its only a tiny amount though so Im not sure how I would get it into him although maybe if I kind of smeared it near his mouth he would lick it off...

I sympathise with how frustrating and upsetting it is not to have a ve you can trust and rely on! I only recently moved to Bristol and have really been struggling to get on with my vet. The RWAF have recommended polly at highcroft vets and I have my first appointment with her tomorrow, so maybe if you ring for advice you could ask to speak to her? They might be able to make you a 'phone appointment' type thing? Good luck! I hope he gets better soon

ive never tried that so not sure, with the infacol ive always added drops to water, also to see if a bun is really poorly they refuse to try and lick from syring bt of infacol bottle, if they tried to get it then i know they are poorly but not too bad, i always have metacam on hand to though, which my vets know about

many vibes to you bunny x

Back