• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried.

sun_city_girl

Warren Veteran
So recently Bun has been really what I would describe as 'overgroomng' he is just licking and scratching himself all the time - it started mostly when he took him to boyfriends parents and we thought he was a bit stressed at being there, when we brought him home he clearly relaxed but was still grooming a lot.
Yesterday he seemed pretty grumpy - was not flopping down and relaxing like normal but still eating/drinking and pooing/weeing as normal
Today when I got up he looked a bit unwell I thought but ate some parsley
I let him out in the garden and he did some wees and a few poos but they were all really small maybe 1/2 or 1/4 size of his normal poos.
He seems pretty happy whilst he is in the garden, he is hopping about normally and has done some binkies.
I havent seen him dig though or eat any grass or hay
when he comes inside he just goes back to continually grooming himself.

could he have something making him itchy?
is there anything I could get him that might make him feel better?I rubbed his tummy for a bit and thought it might be a bit bloated.
I probably wont give him any pellets but is it okay to still give greens?

thanks.

I am not sure to be honest,but to me it sounds like either stress or "boredom", as you say your bun is fine when out in the garden it could be that he is fine when he is distracted,the small poos could have been due to the stay at your boyfriends with the change of environment, but he does seem to be eating well now.Idont know if this helps any, but some other members may be able to help more:D

I am not sure to be honest,but to me it sounds like either stress or "boredom", as you say your bun is fine when out in the garden it could be that he is fine when he is distracted,the small poos could have been due to the stay at your boyfriends with the change of environment, but he does seem to be eating well now.Idont know if this helps any, but some other members may be able to help more:D

hmmmm maybe he is bored I dont know its strange behaviour because usually he would just lay about and be relaxed, He always comes where we are and we go in the garden with him and he chases us about but as soon as he is indoors he wont leave himself alone.

Not sure how I could make him less bored indoors right now - maybe I will try and find a new box and make him some toys...

Could it be mites or fleas? Are there other pets at your boyfriends parents house? Might be worth treating for mites/fleas.

Maybe he is allergic to something.

I know Doughnut hates the smell of the washing and won't go near it. I try to put it in other rooms now as I think it's too strong for a rabbits sensitive nose so maybe something is setting your little one off. The carpet or something you've cleaned the carpet with.

I hope you find out as that's half the battle. Good luck.

Could it be mites or fleas? Are there other pets at your boyfriends parents house? Might be worth treating for mites/fleas.

Oh I never even thought of this but there are two cats at his parents house!Can I just give him stuff for mites/fleas, is there anything I can buy without having to go to the vets?

Maybe he is allergic to something.

I know Doughnut hates the smell of the washing and won't go near it. I try to put it in other rooms now as I think it's too strong for a rabbits sensitive nose so maybe something is setting your little one off. The carpet or something you've cleaned the carpet with.

I hope you find out as that's half the battle. Good luck.

I am keeping a close eye on him but am not sure am thinking now maybe its fleas or mites :(

I should imagine that's quite easy to get it all cleared up but may keep coming back if they keep having contact with the cats or area they are with the cats in.

I would go to the vets as not sure what you need to use but I'm sure someone else will come along with advice.

I should imagine that's quite easy to get it all cleared up but may keep coming back if they keep having contact with the cats or area they are with the cats in.

I would go to the vets as not sure what you need to use but I'm sure someone else will come along with advice.

I dont think I will be taking him to the boyfriends parents again - I worried about him too much and he seemed grumpy there.

Im willing him to poo haha

He has been eating quite a bit of hay now but still havent had a poo in a few hours although I know he ofetn does a lot in one go *fingers crossed* now they get bigger!!

did 3 tiny tiny poos.
listened to his abdomen with my stethoscope (Ive only ever heard human bowel sounds haha) but couldnt hear any bubbling or gurgling or anything :(
gave a massage and about 4ml water
waiting for the vet to call back although she doesnt seem in any hurry.

Back