• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you do... (question for rescues or anyone really)

When you see a rabbit advertised, neutered (vacc'd when a baby) being rehomed for genuine reasons? He lost his female companion and as his owner has a new baby she cant spend enough time with him. She has admitted he's lonely so wants to find a home for him where he can have company.

Rescues are full to bursting so you would only take in urgent cases which is understandable! So would it be bad for someone who knows about the rescue situation to take in the bun to give him company (which could even result in rescuing as you may adopt a female as a friend for him)

Just wondered what happens to the not as urgent bunnies, do we just have to forget and hope for the best? I just feel sorry for him to be honest.

*I don't plan on taking him on, it's just a genuine question but would it be bad if I did?*

ETA: If any rescues could help, please pm me. He's in Wakefield.

Last edited:
Not at all, I think it's perfectly acceptable for someone to get a free ad bunny, as long as they are prepared for the bonding and vet bills. I've taken in free ad bunnies before and rehomed them.

By the way if he's neutered and vacc'd and the owner is being responsible with rehoming there is no need for this bun to take a rescue space that could go to a much more neglected bun

By the way if he's neutered and vacc'd and the owner is being responsible with rehoming there is no need for this bun to take a rescue space that could go to a much more neglected bun

Thanks for you reply. :)

Yep I thought this. :) However that made me think would it be bad for someone to get him if they know about the rescue situation? :? I didnt think it woud be bad but just wondered what others thought.

The way I see it, any bun that is unwanted and being given away to a good home is just as deserving as a bun in a rescue. Of course there is no knowing whether the previous owner is going to then go out and replace the bun with another pet from a breeder/shop.

My last two buns were not from an "official rescue" , they came to me through word of mouth...they were no longer wanted, confined to a small indoor cage/hutch, no attention, single and lonely....I knew I could offer them a better life...so i did. My two piggies I saw advertised in a pet shop (which doesn't sell pets :)) window..free to a good home. I thought they were going to be old, but were actually babies from a supposed "accidental" litter caused by children thinking it would be great to mix the piggies up :shock: I'm totally against breeding, but couldn't say no to these...As far as I'm concerned, these two were just as much rescued... I know about the rescue situation...if I could I would take them all from rescue centres I would, but taking some that would be destined to an unhappy, lonely life is just as good.

I would do what I thought to be 'right'

In the situation you describe if I were able to accommodate/afford/commit to another Rabbit I would get him :)

All mine have been from free-ads, except Harris. I love them all to bits and would do it again.

The only thing I would say is you can't be 100% they are neutered, as some people know that's what a lot of people want to hear. I have heard of people adopting neutered bunnies from free ads only to find they aren't. You can easily tell with boys, but with females this is harder. I knew Islay and Jura weren't done when I got them. I was told Arran was, so I had the vet check and he was neutered :thumb: I was also told Ailsa is spayed, I have only taken her previous owners word for this, and bonded her with Harris anyway. It went well so I assume she is spayed. :wave:

I think you should go get him :D You need a 4 again.

The only thing I would say is you can't be 100% they are neutered, as some people know that's what a lot of people want to hear.

I agree with this! I was told Poppy was neutered...I asked for the name of the vet that did the spay, but owner couldn't tell me as the bun had been passed on to her from her mum...supposedly Poppy had been living with a neutered male bun but had been separated for some reason. I took Poppy to vet and he searched for a spay scar ( very difficult to look for as she is very fluffy). vet couldn't see a scar so I booked her in to be spayed. I'm sure my vet would have told me if he did the op and found no uterus/overies...so I can only assume she wasn't spayed!

: I was also told Ailsa is spayed, I have only taken her previous owners word for this, and bonded her with Harris anyway. It went well so I assume she is spayed. :wave

Is it possible to have a rabbit checked via ultrasound? I would be worried that she may not have been spayed, even if bonding went well...just in case she's a very mellow bun and not hormonal...I would still worry about the risk of cancer and would want to be sure. After getting Poppy and finding she wasn't spayed after all, I wouldn't trust what anyone says.

Is it possible to have a rabbit checked via ultrasound? I would be worried that she may not have been spayed, even if bonding went well...just in case she's a very mellow bun and not hormonal...I would still worry about the risk of cancer and would want to be sure. After getting Poppy and finding she wasn't spayed after all, I wouldn't trust what anyone says.

I don't know, her owner seemed pretty genuine when she said and gave me details of the vet who did the spay if I wanted to check. As I don't like speaking on the phone, I didn't. She doesn't act like an unspayed bunny though, if you see what I mean ;) I don't know about ultrasounds, I'd consider it, but its probably a lot of work when I do feel she is most likely done.

I'd happily take on buns from anywhere other than a breeder or pet shop. In this situation it's not like taking the bunny would be encouraging the breeding of more.

I don't know, her owner seemed pretty genuine when she said and gave me details of the vet who did the spay if I wanted to check. As I don't like speaking on the phone, I didn't. She doesn't act like an unspayed bunny though, if you see what I mean ;) I don't know about ultrasounds, I'd consider it, but its probably a lot of work when I do feel she is most likely done.

This is the only reason I haven't had Imogen checked out yet, I don't trust the rescue I got her from (some females are neutered, lots seem not to be I think she was spayed in her old home) but she doesn't act like a hormonal doe

I don't see the difference from a moral standpoint between getting buns from a rescue or from free ads. I adopt off free ads since there are no rabbit rescues I know of around here.

All mine have been from free-ads, except Harris. I love them all to bits and would do it again.

The only thing I would say is you can't be 100% they are neutered, as some people know that's what a lot of people want to hear. I have heard of people adopting neutered bunnies from free ads only to find they aren't. You can easily tell with boys, but with females this is harder. I knew Islay and Jura weren't done when I got them. I was told Arran was, so I had the vet check and he was neutered :thumb: I was also told Ailsa is spayed, I have only taken her previous owners word for this, and bonded her with Harris anyway. It went well so I assume she is spayed. :wave:

I think you should go get him :D You need a 4 again.

:lol: Don't tempt me! Did message her though. :oops: Got this reply:

"hi yes he is free that would be perfect for him :) he needs some new friends x "

He's a genuine rescue whether he is at a rescue or rehomed otherwise.

Erin came to me in exactly those circumstances (except the owner had to take a more demanding job rather than motherhood in the case of the Wakefield bun). She was free to good home but the previous owner said she was bringing her as she "wanted to meet Elijah", I'm sure she was really doing a home check, though she didn't say so. She was fighting back the tears as she left.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Well when you get messages like that, I believe its meant to be :wave: you are such a great bunny owner and have lots of lovely space for him :)

Aww thank you so much! :D So are you. :) x

He's a genuine rescue whether he is at a rescue or rehomed otherwise.

Erin came to me in exactly those circumstances (except the owner had to take a more demanding job rather than motherhood in the case of the Wakefield bun). She was free to good home but the previous owner said she was bringing her as she "wanted to meet Elijah", I'm sure she was really doing a home check, though she didn't say so. She was fighting back the tears as she left.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Aww :love: Thank you. :)

Back