• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed buns - Outside time in winter?

Beansprout

Warren Scout
Do you stop letting your buns outside (if you have to do it manually, i.e. they haven't got a route outside from the shed) during the colder weeks of winter? When would you start to pop them back outside in the run?

Do you stop letting your buns outside (if you have to do it manually, i.e. they haven't got a route outside from the shed) during the colder weeks of winter? When would you start to pop them back outside in the run?

My two boys are 24/7 outdoor buns! They wouldn't have it any other way. When Pebbles was ill I had ot bring them in for a bit and they hated it! They have a shed with a run attached and then a long pipe to another bigger run that I can move around the garden to try and find fresh grass (although doesn't grow much at the mo!).

I used to put them in and out manually every morning and eve and they had a big box to shelter in i their run, but then I read all about them being dusk and dawn grazers so thought they needed their own 24 hour access to outside. I used to put mine out every day coz they would be grumpy if I didn't and I felt like they weren't getting their freedom.

Rabbits need time in the run every single day in my opinion. If the run isn't attached to the hutch/shed then there should be a shelter in the run :D

I have the same problem, at the moment its very mild so my rabbits are in the hutch wirh run attached by run around sytem, but when it gets really cold they go in the shed at night then i put them back in the hutch in the morning. I would not leave my rabbits in a run with out any access to a hutch though.

Our boy are in a 6x4 shed with an attached run accessed via a cat flap so have access to it 24/7 all year round. During the winter we let them out for supervised free range time as much as we can although due to the dark night it may only be a couple of days out of the week. They love having free range time and I think it helps to blow some cobwebs off (so to speak) as it does with children when they are cooped up in the house in bad weather.

my boy gets out of his shed 3x per day...he will even play in the rain!!! he isn't as keen on strong wind though. I have an oil filled heater so he toastie and drys off quick when he goes back to his shed x

ours have access to their attached run all the time, but I let them out for a little bit every day in the bigger run at the front.

Oohhh rightyho! I would love to make an attached run but that isn't possible atm. Since the shed is the same temp as outside and I do always make a rain shelter for 'em, I'll stick them outside today!

Yup, mine have 24/7 access to their runs too. Plus freerange time in the garden when I'm home, even if it's pouring down with rain, it's their choice - they always have somewhere warm and dry to retreat to if they wish.

I let mine out manually every day if the rain and wind is not too strong. My lot are very hardy and the temperature difference between the garage and garden is 2 degrees or less so they can cope with it. If they do have to stay in on bad weather days its not the worst as they all have a lot of space to do as they please. (I have indoor runs).

YAY for outdoor buns :) They love it!

The only thing I worry about at the moment is that the grass doesn't grow quickly enough!! I need to add another pipe / tunnel and run to my set up. Anyone know where you can get hold of pipes? Not runaround, way too expensive! Pipe at the moment is a drainage pipe I think found on farm, looks same as runaround but black and more sturdy. Just need another one! Hoping this spring to re-bunny proof our fence so they boys can be free range again when I'm home. They love it! :)

mine always go out no matter the weather (unless ofcourse the run is so sodden that they're starting to paddle) even in the snow :) I leave the flap in the shed door open so the temperature is similar inside and out

Back