• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies eating boxes - daft question

JackieS

Warren Scout
This sounds like a daft question......

My father in law brought home the boxes you get photocopy paper in so that we could use them as hiding boxes for the buns

Since getting them home Rose has obviously started to now peel off, lick and nibble some of the box...............they are corrugated cardbaord with that sort of slick paper over the top and patterns printed onto them.........which got me thinking suddenly that maybe I shouldn't use them? Should I just give them normal cardboard boxes?

Any opinions?

Sorry to jump in on this one, but my bunny loves to hide in boxes but always starts to eat them, I end up taking them off him as I'm afraid it'll harm him! Do other buns just play in boxes or do they eat them too?

not sure if it will do any harm being coloured but cardboard eating in general isn't good, can cause gut slow down or stasis :wave: also can indicate a lack of fiber in the bunnies diet :wave:

I can't put cardboard boxes in at all with parsley and willow.
As soon as they see ir they start eating it.
And they eat hay allllllll the time, they escape and the first thing they do is run to the hay even with a full hayraxk :lol:

not sure if it will do any harm being coloured but cardboard eating in general isn't good, can cause gut slow down or stasis :wave: also can indicate a lack of fiber in the bunnies diet :wave:

they're only 8 weeks old with unlimited pellets and food as is suggested, and they've chomped loads of hay since they came home with us this morning......

they're only 8 weeks old with unlimited pellets and food as is suggested, and they've chomped loads of hay since they came home with us this morning......

they may not have been getting enough in their previous home, or they might just be destucto buns :lol:

Personally I'd remove the boxes if they are now eating them

well I assumed she was eating it as she didn't just spit it out like I thought she would lol but to be honest I removed it out of her mouth pretty quick so I might not have given her much of a chance lol! Paranoid? Me? Never!

I've removed the boxes anyway just incase......

3 of my buns eat tonnes of hay (and waste the rest!) but still eat boxes and wallpaper:shock: I'm now having to strip the bedroom's wallpaper where they can get to it, as they are just eating it all. The bedroom now looks a mess as only the top half has wall paper left on it :lol: the things we do for our buns :oops: But none of mine have gone into stasis or had gut trouble ...maybe a wooden box wood be better if they don't wee in it.

they may not have been getting enough in their previous home, or they might just be destucto buns :lol:

unlimited hay etc in their previous home too (MIL works there so was keeping a beady eye on her grand-bunnies as she calls them!)
So I'm opting for destructo buns lol! I've removed them anyway just incase.....maybe I'll try again when they're abit older.........

Just need to find them something else to hide from the cat in instead then lol

3 of my buns eat tonnes of hay (and waste the rest!) but still eat boxes and wallpaper:shock: I'm now having to strip the bedroom's wallpaper where they can get to it, as they are just eating it all. The bedroom now looks a mess as only the top half has wall paper left on it :lol: the things we do for our buns :oops: But none of mine have gone into stasis or had gut trouble ...maybe a wooden box wood be better if they don't wee in it.

this made me giggle - part of the reason we're plastering the walls in our new house lol!

unlimited hay etc in their previous home too (MIL works there so was keeping a beady eye on her grand-bunnies as she calls them!)
So I'm opting for destructo buns lol! I've removed them anyway just incase.....maybe I'll try again when they're abit older.........

Just need to find them something else to hide from the cat in instead then lol

Carry case stuffed with straw or hay goes down well here :)

I have 2 cardboard munchers too :D I avoid leaving any lying around cos don't really want them eating it as ive been told it can cause blockages.xx

I have 2 cardboard munchers too :D I avoid leaving any lying around cos don't really want them eating it as ive been told it can cause blockages.xx

Could I use an up turned plastic storage box if I cut a hole in the side? Would I have to sand the edges of the cut bit?

Last edited:
Back