• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clear discharge from bottom? Help

Hello I'm new and have a problem

My 2 year old male rabbit has clear discharge coming from his bottom, I have no idea what this is but he's happy in himself and eating well. I have phoned 2 vets to ask if he needs to be seen but both have said it can wait till Monday and are not worried but if I'm still worried later they will look at him

It's worried me because my bunny had loads of this clear discharge all over the place and was pts but he was 13 The vets arnt worried because only 2. His coat isn't great but his malting and gets a runny eye every now and then. But cold tea seems to sort it quickly

He does do normal droppings and his also normal squishy ones as well. But this is clear discharge.

Any advice or knowledge would be helpful. Thank you

How long has it been going on for ?

Has he had any dietary changes ?

Is the 'discharge' like jelly ?

Are his fecal poos (hard poos) normal in size and is the discharge mixed in with them ?

Are your vets knowledgeable about rabbits? Most vets aren't as they're classed as exotic pets.
It's just that you're right to be worried as the discharge is an indication of serious stomach problems, inflammation and infection etc.

It's jelly ish. It's only started tonight and he's happy and doing everything As normal
I Didnt know vets may not know about rabbits as I thought vets were trained in all small animals to be honest They have taken care of all of my rabbits and ginipigs

Well what you describe is not 'normal' so you definitely need to consult a Vet. It sounds as though he has some inflammation in his GI tract and an examination is needed to try to identify the cause.

I suspect there may be some Dental issues to address. The runny eye and poor coat condition being two clues. If he is not eating enough fibre (hay/grass) he will also start to have gut problems, even if he is eating a normal amount of concentrate feed/veg.

Doesnt Jelly 'occur' when fecal matter has been in the end stages of digestion for a longer period of time?
Which can also go hand in hand with statis?

Back