• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can readigrass go off ? Or be very stale ?

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
I thought we had run out of readigrass so bought the last one in a local pet shop. I usually order from the Hays Expert.

Anyway this lot from the shop is quite yellow looking. Smells alright but looks wrong. Mr B has been getting a bit of a mucky bottom and he is only on hay, SS and readigrass. No fruit or veg at all. I binned it yesterday, nearly a full packet, just incase it had gone off.

I don't think it can go off any more than hay would as it's essentially the same product. However, as a natural product, it's colour and texture can vary considerably. The latest bale (yes, BALE) that I bought isn't being touched by any of the buns and yet the last bale went down a treat. You win some, you lose some!

I don't think it can go off any more than hay would as it's essentially the same product. However, as a natural product, it's colour and texture can vary considerably. The latest bale (yes, BALE) that I bought isn't being touched by any of the buns and yet the last bale went down a treat. You win some, you lose some!

I was thinking some of these shops might have it hanging around for ages. This shop puts its hay and readigrass outside all day in wheelie bins. When you open the bin some of the hay in plastic bags has condensation inside the bags. The readigrass didn't but it may have at another time.

Ah - in that case, it could well have mould spores in it and I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. I keep all my grass and hay products (that are in plastic bags) well away from sunlight. The sunlight would only cause it to bleach the colour but if there's condensation forming that can't escape then the hay/grass will have become damp, even if it's since dried out again.

My concern is always how the product is stored in shops. Sometimes I see hay in plastic bags outside a petshop in blazing sunshine. So the hay will sweat and then lots of mould spores will form

My advice would be 'if in doubt, chuck it out'.

Ah - in that case, it could well have mould spores in it and I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. I keep all my grass and hay products (that are in plastic bags) well away from sunlight. The sunlight would only cause it to bleach the colour but if there's condensation forming that can't escape then the hay/grass will have become damp, even if it's since dried out again.

Ahhhh, didn't think of that. The sun must have caused it to go yellow. Plus some of it looked unnaturally very green.

Can you see mould spores ?

My concern is always how the product is stored in shops. Sometimes I see hay in plastic bags outside a petshop in blazing sunshine. So the hay will sweat and then lots of mould spores will form

My advice would be 'if in doubt, chuck it out'.

I know. I haven't been to this shop in over a year, a very small one in Hampton. I remember a few years ago I wasn't happy with the hay there. Everything squashed into the wheelie bin with that moist smell.

I've had readigrass for Spenser once that I wasn't happy about. I n fact it put me off getting more for a long time.

I hope Mr Bennett bottom behaves itself. Is he not allowed his crunchies either?

I've had readigrass for Spenser once that I wasn't happy about. I n fact it put me off getting more for a long time.

I hope Mr Bennett bottom behaves itself. Is he not allowed his crunchies either?

Oooops, yes he still has his crunchies.

Mr B is most likely to always have a slightly delicate tummy. His diet is different to the other two. They get a bowl of veggies every night and never have tummy issues. They both produce big golden poos, twice the size of Mr B's poos. Mr B has never had great poos. I am keeping his diet simple. Hay and pellets with the odd crunchie. He wants to eat too many pellets so I have to be strict with him.

He is a good hay eater. I don't know why his bottom is a problem. He seems fine in himself and has been running around like a mad thing today but he is prone to sulking and hates his routine being changed.

Back